advice please

smegy9

Small Fish
Jan 10, 2004
Visit site
i currently have a fluval 1000 set up was wanting to convert to marine

this holds 35 uk gals and 42.3 us gals

was wondering what equipment i need and what stocking levels i could have.

i mostly want two clowns

but what else could i have in this ize of tank

any advice is greatfully recieved.

S.Reef

Superstar Fish
Dec 1, 2003
Michigan
I am not familiar with the Fluval 1000. Is it a system, or a filter of some sort? Any how at 42.3 gallons, this tank can hold a pretty good amount of fish. Well...you want two Clownfish. Depending on the species, I believe you could keep about six other small fish. If this is your first marine set-up I would stick with gobies, damsels, cardinalfish, bassalets, dottybacks, hawkfish. These fish are on the easier side to care for. In contrst do not buy butterflies, Angels, Tangs, Triggerfish, and Seahorses. They get much to big for a 43 gallon tank and some require a ton of care. You didn't mention it, but a good protein skimmer and some live rock would really come in handy.

Good Luck, Sam Reef
20 Gallon Freshwater Planted Aquarium

smegy9

Small Fish
Jan 10, 2004
Visit site
the fluval 1000 is a system it has the tank i stated above

a fluval 3 + internal filter a heater for the tank which will suit my marines

how much live rock would i need for this tank and since i am in the uk is tehre any recomendations on a protein skimmer?

i am also guessing i am gonna have to buy a new filter ?

as for stocking the two clowns r defos

i quite liked the flame angel but u say my tank is too small
i also like the golden butterfly

i just want the fish to be happy so any suggestions r cool

cheers for teh help so far looking to get into this as soon as poss

S.Reef

Superstar Fish
Dec 1, 2003
Michigan
You don't really need to get a new filter. With a large amount of live rock, it can handle all the bgiological needs. How about 35lbs. of live rock. Umm I live in the U.S. so I don't know what products are available to you. I recommend either a CPR Backpack protein skimmer or a Red Sea Prizm. Again I don't know if they are available to you. As for the Flame Angel, I guessed I over generalized on the Angels...you could probably keep a flame. However I would get your other fish first and introduce the Flame last. Make sure the system has aged for at least 4 months. Stick away from butterflies until your skills have been built up.

Sam Reef

aresgod

Superstar Fish
Jan 14, 2004
mass
Visit site
I would say more live rock than 35 lbs if you are gonna use it as one of your main filtration devices, i would say atleast 1lb to 1 U.S. Gallon, if not a little bit more, but that is just my personal opinion i might go with 50 lbs of live rock for a 40 gallon
I have about 50lbs in my 35 gallon reef, but it is also a different shaped tank which allowed me to do that
Brahm

smegy9

Small Fish
Jan 10, 2004
Visit site
what fish would suit the set up i need to get then

i heard damsels r hard onceu have live rock in the tank?

so all i need is live rock and a protein skimmer what about the lighting?

aresgod

Superstar Fish
Jan 14, 2004
mass
Visit site
if your not doing corals ect then it is semi minimail lighting, u will need some for te live rock but i am not sure what the best recommendation would be to save money and serve the purpose of the live rock

S.Reef

Superstar Fish
Dec 1, 2003
Michigan
Well, I have like 60lbs. in my 90 FOWLR, but yeah I also have a XP3. I think its really personal opinion and how stocking levels. About 2 watts of light will adequetly support live rock. Again damsels, gobies, cardinalfish, clowns, dottybacks, and hawkfish.

Sam Reef