Advice please!

Apr 1, 2008
I am going to be starting a salt water aquarium in the next couple months. I was wondering if someone would tell me what good starter coral, fish, etc. I should begin with?:D

Thanks in advance.

Apr 1, 2008
wow thanks a lot. that was very helpful.

I would like enough live rock to make my tank look nice but not so it looks crowded. I would eventually like to get some corals as well. I know there isn't a "certain" amount of live rock but should you really have a lb of LR for every gallon? As in, would it make the tank more balanced out?

I love star fish and I would like to have at least a few of this little critters as well as some anemonies and some urchins. I would eventually like to have a lion fish and an eel like Aixenx but it looks as though, i should wait to get those. And of course a clown fish or 2. :)

I would really like to have an extremely colorful tank that isn't too crowded.

anyway those are just some ideas i have come up with.

Joe Fish

Superstar Fish
Apr 21, 2006
Penn State
josy.isa-geek.com
First start with the stickies at the top of the forum. You have a lot to think about before even starting to think about live stock.

Sand sifting stars are doomed in the home aquarium. Unless you plan to have a huge tank and it's well established. They can quickly deplete their food source. You won't be able to mix the lion fish/eel with the clowns... Well you can, but that would be mean because they would be food.

You want about 1 1/2 to 2 lbs or Fiji per gallon. They type of rock will make a difference because some are more porus than others.

I guess decide if you want an aggressive or community tank first. Then go from there.

Apr 1, 2008
yeah i have been reading a lot of the stickies and have learned a lot.

I've heard you must establish algae in the tank before acquiring a sea stars. I have a friend who has a 100 gal and she's always bringing in new fish and corals to her tank, although shes had it for about 5-6 years and her sea stars have always thrived in the tank.

I think i would rather haven a community then a aggressive tank because I would love to have a variety of fish.

thanks for the tips. :D

Last edited:

Joe Fish

Superstar Fish
Apr 21, 2006
Penn State
josy.isa-geek.com
Sea stars are better off in a tank because they eat all kinds of stuff... Even fish! A sand sifting star will eat the fauna and various critters in the sand bed. They can easily deplete their food supply in just a few weeks. Then it's a slow slow starvation. Not to mention it eats all the stuff beneficial to your sand and tank.

A 100g tank is a nice size to have. Plenty of room for most fish in this hobby.

Lorna

Elite Fish
Mar 3, 2005
NE Indiana
(I love star fish and I would like to have at least a few of this little critters as well as some anemonies and some urchins. )

No, no, and maybe. As Joe stated most starfish are doomed in small systems unless you are thinking along the lines of serpent/brittle stars which form a good part of your cleanup crew. Otherwise, they should be left in the ocean, especially linkia stars which will eventually die. Anemones are definitely out in that size tank......and should only be housed in a mature stable large tank with enough room for them to grow as they can get huge if they are kept properly. Urchins, are okay but can be meddlesome

again do lots of research BEFORE you buy anything..... :)