Advice to noobs like me

KahluaZzZ

Superstar Fish
Jun 12, 2004
Montreal, Quebec
Visit site
Yellowtail Damsels are cute, shiny, and have a lot of caracter. But they are too much aggressive ! Mine went crazy when someone crossed their respective territories..trying to kill each other...almost did, and picking on a fish 3,5 X bigger than them. Also tried to kill the friendly scarlet shrimp, 2 snails, and they ate...well destroyed 2 worms.

I you wanna them them out of your tank and you have a load of rock...you'll have plenty of fun. I had to remove all the rock 'cause i tried a trap and failed, altough it was built like it's supposed to be...and asked someone to help me...after 1 hour and a half of extreme dexterity...they were caught...and i had to redo the aquascaping.

Those little dudes are really the hiding kings and so fast ..i was so angry and tired.

I was warned not to get those fished because of their territorial attitude, but i didn't listen.

I went to the store i bought them and gave them to the guy..i feel a little bit guilty 'cause they were my first fishes. I do feel a relief to know they won't harm my tank's inhabitants again.

DSK

Large Fish
Oct 12, 2004
Michigan
Visit site
I agree and disagree with wayne --
Reading and getting book is ALWAYS a good idea -BUT- you can trust people at lfs. you will know if they are intelligant just by talking to them. if they say fish all cool and have good color then dont trust them obviously. On the other hand they usually know a lot about SW and FW so. At least here in Michigan (The store I go to are excellent for info)

But i belive you should be sceptical about what you read "ONLINE" not on this site specifically but if there is a site with fish for sale and they say that a clown trigger will get along with anything just make sure you double check. Some of the info is missleading not also false just a streatch of the truth.

1979camaro

Ultimate Fish
Oct 22, 2002
San Ramon, CA
i agree with DSK about the lfs...my policy begins with skepticism...i ask them a few test questions which I know the answers too, if they get those right (or are honest enough to say "i dont know") then i usually figure i can rely on that salesman for the correct answers

S.Reef

Superstar Fish
Dec 1, 2003
Michigan
Its good to know a little about anything before you start asking some questions. Believe me, you will have the upper hand if you are knowledgable.