Aeration Issues

cchase85

Large Fish
Jun 6, 2006
New England
I have a 5.5 gallon and 20 gallon tank. The 20 gallon tank has just been set up and I wanted to get even aeration across most of the back so I purchased an 18" long stone bar and a pump for 20-40 gallon tanks. The issue is that the bubbles pretty much only come out of the first 6" of the stone, and I am wondering if this is just how it is or it evens out. It has been running for 2 days now and I allowed it to soak for about a day before I put air through it.

The issue on the 5.5 gallon tank is that I have a smaller aeration bar that worked fine for a long time but now it is pretty much moving no air. I tried cleaning it with a sponge and then a dobie but it still doesn't really move any air at all. Is it time to replace (it's about 4 months old) or is there some other way I can clean it?

Lotus

Ultimate Fish
Aug 26, 2003
Southern California
home.earthlink.net
It sounds like your new airstone doesn't have a powerful enough airpump for it.

The old bubble wall, you could try soaking in bleach, then thoroughly rinsing and adding dechlorinator to the rinse water. A lot of the time they get full with hard water deposits, and it's easier to just get a new one.

Airstones/bubble walls are really only for decoration in a filtered tank, but if you like the look of them, that's fine. :)

cchase85

Large Fish
Jun 6, 2006
New England
I know they don't really do too much, but they do help to move the water around in the tank a little better. I will try out the cleaning method. As for the other airstone, I will have to look into a smaller one I guess.

Thanks for the quick reply.