African Butterfly Fish

MrNiteOwl

Small Fish
May 15, 2009
Virginia Beach, VA
Has anyone kept one of these? More importantly.... I was told I could keep them in with my Goldies as long as they have floating plants to keep covered from the light.... Is this true? I think they are very nice looking fish.... but I wouldn't want to throw it in with my Goldies if it isn't going to flourish.... surviving isn't good enough.

jo3olous

Large Fish
Aug 6, 2008
Philadelphia, PA
That's the one.... The only thing I have noticed is the temp difference.... My tank right now is sitting at 78 with no heater.... A bit high for my Goldies I know.... but ideal for the ABF.
well it is a predator, althought the goldies might be too big for its mouth. It's also a flyer, so a very tight lid is needed. In general it's trouble to mix tropicals with coldwater fish, it can be done and a few people will argue it but it usually just brings up problems people aren't used to dealing with too.

MrNiteOwl

Small Fish
May 15, 2009
Virginia Beach, VA
I truly understand and I have seen worse stocking profiles in my researchings.... The lid, temps, and the predatory wouldn't be an issue I think. If the ABF where to eat my rosy reds.... no big lost.... My Goldies are way to big for it to eat and they normally stay mid and lower tank. The only time they come to the top is when I feed them their freeze dried bloodworms that float. And that's everyonce in a while that they get that as a treat. The other foods sink to the bottom.... Trust me.... I'm not going to go out and just throw one of these guys in there without enough reading and feedback.... Thanks jo3....

MrNiteOwl

Small Fish
May 15, 2009
Virginia Beach, VA
I've been meaning to post pix.... But I don't have the deco where I want it.... I just picked up some slab rock and found where I can get more (free) and redo some stuff.... I'll probably do some before pix today or tomorrow for the forum to criticize.... and give input.... which is always welcome.... *thumbsups and when I redo.... put those up....