African Driftwood and pH

Joe123

New Fish
Sep 13, 2007
We just purchased a fishtank and put african driftwood in it. We noticed that the pH was a little high so we added some of this 7.0 pH balancer and the pH balanced out. Today at the petstore one of the associates there said that African driftwood raises the pH rather than lowers it like most driftwood and that with it in the tank we would be limited to fish who like the higher pH such as ciclids. I can't find anything confirming this online. Has anyone heard anything like this?

Nov 27, 2004
New Orleans
Visit site
welcome to the tank...now, down to business...one of the first things you should learn is to never mess with your pH, especially with chemicals. It won't fix your pH forever, and the fluctuations in your pH between doses can be very dangerous to your fish. What was your pH before? Fish can adapt to a lot of different pH ranges.

Orion

Ultimate Fish
Feb 10, 2003
Kentucky
www.thefishcave.net
I second everything he said.

And I've never heard that 'African driftwood' acts any different than any other driftwood. Saying that, most driftwood can either lower the pH of the tank, or have no effect depending on the water hardness.

The drip acclimation method takes longer, but is much better for adding new fish. This allows the new fish to get used to the new tank's water conditions over a longer period of time.

exhumed07

Superstar Fish
Apr 30, 2006
Illinois
with my driftwood it dropped my ph from 9.5 to 8.5. then with the live plants it dropped again to 7.5-8. I have never heard of driftwood raising the ph. rocks yes but not driftwood.