African Dwarf Frog Pregnat?

hey guys i posted this in the bottom feeders thread thing but no one goes there or answers there :/ anyways my female adf is real real fat!! also it has this big lump on the side of its stomach, my adf wasn't fat till just today when i noticed she was huge! and i check daily in the mornings anyways what do you think is the problem is she pregnat? sick? bomb in her stomach? eat too much? oh ya and the only thing thats really touched the floor is some flakes and maybe 1 or 2 worms and algea wafers

dethjam316

Large Fish
Mar 24, 2004
gainesville, fl
plaza.ufl.edu
i don't keep them anymore, but it could just be from a big lunch. maybe you missed her snack on something large-ish. i used to have clawed frogs when i was a little kid, and they ballooned after a big meal. i'd guess ADFs could do the same. they definitely don't get pregnant--they lay eggs, not live babies...so they technically can't be pregnant.;) but i don't know anything about their breeding or the condition of the female prior to mating, maybe leopardess does?

Leopardess

Superstar Fish
A lump and fat? Or fat because there is a lump?

DO you feed freeze dried foods? That can cause bloat and can be deadly. Do you notice that it nibbles on the gravel? Could it have ingested a piece?

Frogs lay eggs, but I doubt you'd notice a huge bulging belly. Maybe plump like she's full, but not a big sudden lump.

Does this look like her lump?

Kinda hard to say. Even if it were something bad like a tumor or bloat, there is nothing you can really do, being that it is internal and all. Some people have reported lumpy frogs, but the lumps go away in a day or so. Does she still have it? You may want to try feeding her skinned peas.

ok my frog doesn't have that lump anymore well its slowly going away :) and yes i do feed freeze dried food because i don't have room in my freezer because my parents own a restaurant so they cook a lot and our freezer is filled with frozen meat etc so if i put something in it like worms i'd be screamed at :/ lol so i ahve to resort to freeze dried. my frog is nice and round now and quiet fat and i can't see the picture you posted so if you could provide a link i'd be glad, thx :)

Leopardess

Superstar Fish
http://www.aquamaniacs.net/cgi-bin/album/album.pl?photo=Sick Fish/femalefrog1.JPG

well, you can also find bloodworms that come in goop that don't need to be refrigerated. Freeze dried foods are very dangerous to a frog's internal system. Maybe try telling your parents that bloodworm packages are only the size of a deck of cards.

Yes, use frozen peas. Microwave them in water for a little bit until they're soft like you'd want to eat. You can smoosh themand the pea "guts" will pop out. Try feeding that to the frog. That helps clean their digestive system out like a laxative.

Or, if you cant find those goopy bloodworms, there is something called "reptomin" sticks. Theyre for reptiles and frogs. You can feed them those if you presoak them in water. If you are still going to feed freeze dried foods, which I dont' recommend , soak them in water for a few minutes before putting them in the tank:)

its not at a restaurant lol its at home, my mom hates worms :/ anyways its kinda freeky to be putting our food that we eat in a box with frozen worms, but first off i'm gnona feed my frog some of the peas to clean the digestive system :) then maybe i'll persuade my mom to let me keep some in the freezer :) we have 3 freezers :) well the 3rd one is just a freezer box inside the refregerator :) and we still don't have room in all the freezers exept the little freezer box whihc is sometimes empty :/