African dwarf frogs

caylynn

Small Fish
Oct 31, 2005
I have a 5 gal hex with an activated carbon filter and a bio-wheel. I have 3 medium and 2 small artificial plants, a small cave in it. I have two goldfish and just added two ADF's. They all seem to get along ok, although I have read conflicting information about housing the two together. The main problem I seem to be having is that I am feeding my ADF's freeze dried bloodworms, (it is a 2 hour drive one way for me to obtain frozen ones) and although goldfish are supposed to be vegans they are eating most of the bloodworms before the frogs can. I have tried distracting them with flakes and sinking pellets but since the bloodworms have to resorb water before they sink, the goldies get most of it. I don't want to overfeed and pollute my tank, since my filter is low current so as not to hurt my froggies. Any suggestions?

Oct 4, 2005
Kentucky
I have to hand feed mine freeze dried bloodworm. I use plastic tweezers to feed mine. I take a plastic cup take some water out of the tank then soak the blood worms for about 30 seconds to a minute the take the tweezers and squeeze one put it in front of his face and he grabs them and then I let and repeat till his belly looks full.

theres also a good FAQ on ADF on the site is a sticky

Last edited:

Helena21

Superstar Fish
Oct 7, 2005
Essex, England
i prop up a bit of slate againsnt the side of the tank and the frogs will probably hide under that. So when u put the bloodworms in get a fork and push the block of bloodworms under the side of the slate so they cant float up again.

caylynn

Small Fish
Oct 31, 2005
twoluvcats said:
well, for starters goldfish do not belong in a 5 gallon tank. Have you read the goldfish and ADF FAQs here?

for ADFs: http://www.myfishtank.net/forum/showthread.php?t=23215
Godlfish: http://www.myfishtank.net/forum/showthread.php?t=28247
Yes I have. I know that they will have to be moved eventually, right now they are both only about 2 inches long. I can't get a bigger tank right now, so I am trying to keep all of them as comfy as possible for the next week or so. I plan on moving the fish and leaving the ADF's in the 5 gal. So......do you have any suggestions for feeding my frogs?

caylynn

Small Fish
Oct 31, 2005
Charlius said:
Goldfish are not vegans.
Vegetarians, so the first ingredient should be vegetable-based. Par-broiled lettus, cucumber, zuchinni, even peas are a favourite treat for goldies. Flaked foods are fine, just don't overfeed goldfish. They always act hungry, so just regulate feeding twice a day. (from goldfish FAQ on this site)

They aren't?

caylynn

Small Fish
Oct 31, 2005
The ADF FAQ says they are ok at 70-82 D, and the goldfish FAQ says they are good at room temp or below. I don't have a heater in the tank but I keep my house at about 76, the water stays at 75-76. Does that sound ok? I'm super new at this so I don't want to do anything to hurt them....I know I need to give the goldies a bigger tank but I can't at the moment....when I do move them....should I cycle the tank or will they be ok with a dechlorinator?

Oct 4, 2005
Kentucky
You are cycling the tank right now. Its called a fish in cycle.You have to make sure that you do water change frequently. cause the mass poopers in there, AKA goldfish. As ammonia will kill the frogs before it will the goldfish.

caylynn

Small Fish
Oct 31, 2005
Yeah, I know I need a 20 gal at least. I just wasn't sure whether I needed to cycle it or if I could change out the bio wheel and some of the old tank gravel, add a dechlorinator and that would be enough, or if I have to do a complete cycle...I want to get the goldies out soon cuz they are pretty cramped....(I didn't plan on getting them.....my daughter brought them home from the fair...lol)

MaryPa

Small Fish
Oct 11, 2005
Glen Rock Pa.
The frogs will most likely die from a fungus being kept with poopers like goldfish.I would recommend daily water changes until the fish are moved. Goldfish need 20 gal for one and an extra 10 gal for all others.The Adfs should have meaty foods like brine shrimp and blood worms. They will eat flake food but won`t thrive well on it. The also prefer a sandy bottom because of the way the dive to the bottom after going up for air. The`ll compete with the fish for food because goldfish are omniverous and aggressive feeders.

MaryPa

Small Fish
Oct 11, 2005
Glen Rock Pa.
Don`t change the filter just rinse it out in the old water you remove from the tank. In the 5 gal you should be doin daily water changes of 50%. In the 20 gal weekly water changes ( when cycled ) of 25% if not cycled daily water changes.