After Tetracycline Added

Jul 18, 2011
I've had a freshwater 65 gal tank for ten years without major incident, but after introducing some new guppies recently and having three females spawn nearly a hundred fries, I noticed red gills and fin issues along with a few of the guppy population having balast issues. I was told by the pet store to dose the tank with tetracycline and was warned of water discoloration that would clear up after I put the carbon filters back in following treatment.

Maybe I am jumping the gun, but after 36 hours the water is still very red in color, and also I have what looks like soap bubbles that congeal and coat the entire surface of the tank. Is this normal?

KcMopar

Superstar Fish
The foaming is normal. You may have to do water changes to remove the medicated water. Are you done with treatment? You should not use carbon unless the treatment is done. Once done with treatment add carbon and water change weekly as usual and you will see a difference very soon. Also note that carbon is only active for a couple to a few days, usually the lesser side when removing meds.

Jul 18, 2011
Thanks for the reply Kc. I have been removing the foam, should I continue to do this? I followed the package directions for dosing, but there wasn't a lot of information on what to expect. My fish are doing better so I am done treating. How much water do you recommend changing each week? - I have a 65 gallon tank....

Also, I had some fries that were in a breeder tank inside my main tank and I want to put them in a five gallon tank with other fries already in that tank. Is this a good idea? Or will I run the risk of contaminating that tank in some way?

Thanks again for the response.

KcMopar

Superstar Fish
You might want to hold off a few days to see it the fry are over their illness. As far as water changes go I would do 7-10G a week if this amount does not get your nitrate over 20-40PPM in a weeks time. If you nitrates are getting over 40PPM you need to increase the water change amount. Ideally you want to keep your nitrates under 40PPM between water changes, I try not to let mine get over 20PPM so my pets have a better environment. Also if you have city water be sure to treat your water to rid the chlorine and/or chloramine that the water plant puts in your water as its not same for your fish.