AGA Megaflow 4

Price

Small Fish
Jan 22, 2008
I have about one inch of live sand, the cured live rock, an Aqua C Urchin Pro skimmer, 15w UV sterilizer, 2 Hydor K. pumps (one on each end) for additional flow, and a AGA Megaflow 4 system (which I have housing the heaters and skimmer).

My main question is I went through a lfs for most of the equipment including the Megaflow 4. The "kit" came with 2 rio 1400's for return pumps. I have been running the system since the end of december and the rio's power to the overflows appears very week in my opinion. I'd be more worried if I didnt have the Hydor K's but I'm thinking I should have more power for such a big sump. The manual for the megaflow did not provide any info on recomendations so I only had the lfs to go by.

I'm curious if anyone here is running a megaflow 4 and if so what size pumps (I was hoping to bump it up to at least a Mag 5). I also want to make sure if I put on bigger pumps that I wont run into problems on the return end.

thanks

Feb 6, 2005
Waterloo, ON Canada
camaro is correct I would recommend only about 10x turnover/hr for you return pump and bump up the flow in the display with stronger "Hi flow/low pressure" power heads.
If your return pump is to strong there is a greater risk of drawing more micro bubbles into the display, as well a risk that your drain may experience cavitation... when the return pump is pumping water faster then the drains can provide, it cause surges of air to be drawn down the drain pipe and can cause stress to the pump.

Last edited:

Price

Small Fish
Jan 22, 2008
The tank is a 6 ft long 125 gallon. The return line is 1 1/4 inch. Since posting this I've found in various searches that the standard for that size is about 600gph each hose. at least thats whats been posted from various searches.

TRe

Elite Fish
Feb 20, 2005
ft. lauderdale
is the tank drilled? do u have built in overflows or HOB ? each 1" hole will drain 600 gph so u wanna match that or get close without going over... btw a mag 5 would only be 500 gph and what u have now is 750 ;)

Price

Small Fish
Jan 22, 2008
The tank has built in overflows. I would replace the two rio's for 2 mag 5's. I actually picked up one mag 5 yesterday and replaced one of the rio's and all appears to be running fine with some more flow.

TRe

Elite Fish
Feb 20, 2005
ft. lauderdale
why have to return pumps? it doesnt make much sense .... if its pre drilled you prolly have 2 1" drains which comes to 1200 gph a mag 9 is what u should have gotten

Price

Small Fish
Jan 22, 2008
There is an over flow on each side of the tank. the sump has two intakes and two returns. Thats why theres two pumps. I can see how one big pump would do the trick but since the holes were already predrilled for two returns and two intakes and figuring I'd spread the flow out more evenly thats why there were two rio 1400's (I've also read some random posts that people with exp. dont like rio's because a) they have leaked oil or b) they dont start back up after a power outage). If its 600 gph for each return then upping it to two danner mag 5's shouldnt be a problem I assume. The only other concern I guess I would have is on the return end and possibly causing burping.