Age of store-bought Bettas

Sep 12, 2008
Omaha, Nebraska
I just bought a betta from a pet store out of one of those poor little containers, and I picked the smallest one because I figured it was the youngest. I was just wondering if anyone knows how old bettas from pet stores usually are, or if their age is just random. I would hate to buy a 5 year old fish that dies right away or something.

MOsborne05

Superstar Fish
Oct 3, 2005
Gibsonburg, OH
Normally they are about a year old because that is when they look their best. And they only live about three years.

I've had my store bought betta for two years, and he is pretty much on his deathbed right now. And there isn't much I can do for him except maybe put him out of his misery.

they live a few years. Usually they are about a year old... some younger by a few months and other older by a few months. As for the bowls, I agree that SOME pet stores put them in way to small of containers for "showing" reasons... thats why I love working at PetSmart in Edmonton, Alberta, Canada. we have contains that thought aren't huge they are a lot bigger then most pet stores! I'd love to see pictures of your little guy!

Sep 12, 2008
Omaha, Nebraska
Yeah I was thinking they might be about that old. My last one just died and I had him for 5 years, so I guess he must have been a grandpa by Betta standards. He looked the same the whole time I had him too, so I was thinking that it might be possible to buy one that was already that old. I was just double checking to make sure I didn't get ripped off. My new one is a little stud though, he swims all over his 10 gallon tank. I'll post some picks of him eventually.

Last edited: