Aggressive Female Guppies

FishGeek

Elite Fish
May 13, 2005
South Carolina
My female guppies (2) are being a little too aggressive to my male guppy. I have watched both of them nip at his tail. The poor thing has chunks out of his tail! :( Is there a reason for this...? They arent going to kill him are they? In the begining when I first got them I noticed that the male seemed to be possessive of the females. He would chase them around and charge at them. But now it is like the females are getting back at him! lol. And he sticks to himself now mostly at the top of the tank; he seems lonely. I just dont want to loose him he is so pretty (he's blue and when the light shines right you can see green). Is this common or.....? :confused:

FishGeek

Elite Fish
May 13, 2005
South Carolina
I only have 3 guppies in a 3 gallon. Both of my females a re pregnant. One is not that far along (yellow tail female) and the other is going to give birth anyday (orange tail female). THe orange tail was the first to nip at the male but she has back off a little now, probably cause she spends her time alone right now. But my yellow tail female is the one that I am worried about killing the male. ?????

its very common...your females are prob getting ready to drop. They shouldn't kill your male, but they can do a number on his tail. If you have a place to move the male until a bit after the fry are born, everyone will be happier...it will also give the feamles a chance to rest after dropping, cause the male will want to get busy again right away.

FishGeek

Elite Fish
May 13, 2005
South Carolina
Ok. I seperated my male and the females, but now my yellow tail female is attacking my other female. The orange tail female is the one that is ready to drop not the yellow (she is only about a week and a half into the pregnancy). ???

Nov 27, 2004
New Orleans
Visit site
how are you so sure about the pregnancy stages of your guppies? the pregnant females aren't just aggressive towards the male when pregnant but pretty much towards anything else in the tank, especially a 3g where there isn't much place to hide. there is nothing you can really do about it except to seperate again.

revfred

Superstar Fish
Jun 21, 2003
St. Paul, MN
Visit site
The other alternative is to provide a dense mat of floating weeds. This will give the "attackee" a place to find solitude. With the weeds in place you should be able to return the male to the tank as well.

FishGeek

Elite Fish
May 13, 2005
South Carolina
Ok. Thanks. The reason that I say she only about a week and a half into it is because she wasnt pregnant when I got here (or at least not showing), she was thin. And she just started showing about 5 days ago (I have had her for almost 3 weeks). I have a hollow log and some plants in the tank now and I will get those floating plants that you guys are refering too. Thanks again.

guppy_newbe