Aggressive Fish

MEng

Small Fish
Sep 3, 2009
I currently have the fish mentioned in my sig and all seem to be doing good. However my golden danio has been fairly aggressive to the others for as long as I've had him. He spends most of his time chasing all the other fish around. Aanytime one gets near him or he gets near another he chases them away, especially when eating. After a little while during feeding he starts to chase the others away so only he can eat.
Would the other fish be better off in a more peaceful atmosphere if he was removed from the tank?

Well not sure why my sig isn't showing up so, its a 10g and my fish are:
1 zebra danio
1 golden danio
1 flying fox
6 glowlight tetras

Last edited:

Newman

Elite Fish
Sep 22, 2009
Northern NJ
DUH lol. if you were those fish wouldn't you think the same? Sorry to say, but you have no sig =/ cant tell what other fish you have, or how big the tank is. might be a territorial issue if the tank's too small.

Newman

Elite Fish
Sep 22, 2009
Northern NJ
well sounds like your golden danio is the biggest... is that true? if it is then its expected to be the most aggresive. i'd move him for the sake of the other fish. I think he will do better with a few of his own species in another tank.

MissFishy

Superstar Fish
Aug 10, 2006
Michigan
Your tank is way too small for those fish. Danios shouldn't really be in anything smaller than a 20 gallon, they're very active. They can get nippy if kept in too small of a tank. I would return all the danios to the pet store for credit.

Newman

Elite Fish
Sep 22, 2009
Northern NJ
seems like the only fish you can keep in that 10 gal out of the ones you now have are the tetra school. (and thats a long shot as well)
I'd return the flying fox with the danios as they grow bigger and need a bigger tank to grow and not have problems.

not much is good for a 10 gal, but maybe an oto or a small cory like the peppered. snails are a good alternative or you can try shrimp if its got lost of plants.