aggressive gold fish???

Jan 4, 2010
I have a 2 year old gold fish that has always been with another gold fish. But recently I got a 15 gallon tank and was bought some fish to go in it. I put the gold fish in it and the 2 year old killed a guppy, and is going after the other one and the 2 cherry barbs I have. Is this normal? Do you think it will stop or should I get another tank? I really dont appreciate waking up to dead fish every morning :mad:

Aug 16, 2009
SW Pennsylvania
I would buy a 20+ gallon and place the goldfish in there alone. Your tank is overstocked. This could be a possible source of aggression, but I am not positive. Goldfish need 20+ gallons of water. Also, barbs, guppies, and goldfish do not usually make good tank mates as they have different needs. Is your tank cycled?

Newman

Elite Fish
Sep 22, 2009
Northern NJ
goldfish hate when other fish are in "their" aquarium. they view them as competitors for food and space and will aggressively attack them.
Goldfish are not cute and cuddly, they are vicious...

Like mentioned one goldfish should be housed in a tank of 20 gallons. 30 gallons for two goldfish.

Jan 4, 2010
thanx i will just put the goldfish in another tank. i dont know much about fish but the barbs and guppies seem fine, will they just start to not get along once i take the goldfish out?

Newman

Elite Fish
Sep 22, 2009
Northern NJ
will who not get along?
The barbs will leave the guppies alone if you have around 5-7 cherry barbs in that tank. otherwise they tend to pick on other fish.

The goldfish shoulda been moved to a larger tank...

Jan 4, 2010
I am moving the gold fish tonight. I am just waiting for everything to be good and set up. So you are saying I should get atleast 3 more barbs and they should leave the guppies alone?