Aiptasia - gotta hate that

KahluaZzZ

Superstar Fish
Jun 12, 2004
Montreal, Quebec
Visit site
Smart little creatures. I found 3 "baby"between my polyps and they're like 4 mm long. Can't reach them with me seringe...and when i try, they hide into tiny micro holes. Do they reprocude even when they're super small or should i wait for them to be bigger ..then inject juice into their bodies ?

1979camaro

Ultimate Fish
Oct 22, 2002
San Ramon, CA
they will spread no matter what their size. I reccomend trying either a peppermint shrimp (hit or miss) or if you have access toa product called "Joe's Juice" go that way. The stuff is amazing. They do not hide from joes juice and you dont have to inject it, you just squirt it near their mouths and they eat it.

here is a link: http://www.joesjuice.com/

you can maybe find a dealer near you...im pretty sure big als carries it so perhaps you've got one of those near you

edit: I've used the stuff in the exact same situation as you (aiptasia amid zoos) as well as in a bunch of GSP and some xenia...as promised on the bottle, it didn't harm anything other than the aiptasia

Last edited:

KahluaZzZ

Superstar Fish
Jun 12, 2004
Montreal, Quebec
Visit site
yep seems to be the greatest way to get rid of these suckers. I called the store where i bought my polyps and they didn't understood why i would get rid of it....so i guess they never kill the nasty anemones...anyways they don't have joe's juice. I called a new store in my hood ( they have saltwater yay ! ) and a girl told me she wanted that product so badly 'cause she's tired of stinging those aiptasia with seringe + boiling water ( mhhh not good for the polyps ). There's a Bigal store in the west island ( 50 km of my home..i don't have a car ) but the girl will buy this stuff for her store and call me when she have the juice.

Yay. Hope she'll get that soon..i'm paranoid.

They don't have peppermint shrimps anywhere else.

It's sad to have only few SW stores in this 4 millions people city. Too much freshwater..not enough SW.

Tnx again 1979camaro for your help.

1979camaro

Ultimate Fish
Oct 22, 2002
San Ramon, CA
well, ive only got one within about 50 miles so we are in the same boat...luckily my guy rocks my proverbial socks

dont fret about the aiptasia...they aren't going to take over in a week or two unless you've got some serious nutrient problems

always happy to try to help

KahluaZzZ

Superstar Fish
Jun 12, 2004
Montreal, Quebec
Visit site
kool. Nope...no nutrient probs...phos are low...ammonia is back to 0, nitrite and nitrate aren't present.

My calcium is 400 but it was a little higher..what brand do you recommand to keep it up ? I don't have much corals but still the calcium is slowly fading away.

wayne

Elite Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Joes Juice is prretty good. You can buy it from the website. It's a ton easier than kalk, or lemon juice or whatever. Bear in mind you can only kill what you can see, so typically you get a few more appear a couple of weeks later.
I can't imagine boiling water being any use at all. Kalk works, but you really have to inject it in with a needle, not just a syringe...

KahluaZzZ

Superstar Fish
Jun 12, 2004
Montreal, Quebec
Visit site
Joe's juice : the choice

Ok my shipment of Joe's Juice arrived. I just tested it on my 4 new enemies....they're dead. Simple. Efficient. Spray over mouth. They die. Joe ...i love you man :D
My polyps didn't care about the juice...unlike the concentrated lemon juice.

AndyL

Large Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Calgary AB
Another thought worth keeping in mind...

Berghia nudibrachs eat only aiptasia. They're occasionally found at the LPS/LFS, so keep your eyes open.

Andy

1979camaro

Ultimate Fish
Oct 22, 2002
San Ramon, CA
the problem with the nudibranchs is that they die once there are no more aiptasia...so you either have to cultivate aiptasia to feed them, give them to someone (which is cool, if you know someone that needs it), or let them die...