air bubbles

jammerz

Large Fish
Feb 28, 2005
Boise
Does anybody have any idea why every 20 to 40 seconds my powerheads why blow a burst of little air bubbles with the water thats flowing thru it. I have the tubular sponge filters on the intake side so that fish dont get sucked up? could air be trapped in those and the powerhead sucks a bubble up every once in a while? but this happens consistently every 20 to 40. ive cleaned the impellers any ideas?

MrParker

Large Fish
Feb 16, 2005
So Cal
so you have a bubbler or air pump goinginto your tank? if you do, sometimes air will collect on the sponge part or even small amounts and will cause your filter to "burp" or make that funny sound

NoDeltaH2O

Superstar Fish
Feb 17, 2005
SC
most all powerheads have an air hose attached that would allow you to oxygenate the water, drawing in air from the room. These often have a small cotton filter, and a screw valve to control the airflow. If the screw valve is not closed all the way, air will slowly get drawn in. You could cap the hose off underwater and avoid the air. If you've got no live plants in your tank you may want to open the valve up ad let some oxygen in the water as your fish will appreciate it.

1979camaro

Ultimate Fish
Oct 22, 2002
San Ramon, CA
there is no reason to inject air into SW tanks, it doesn't disolve well

you might as well take the filter off unless you have some really tiny fish; most SW fish are too big to get sucked into the PH

KahluaZzZ

Superstar Fish
Jun 12, 2004
Montreal, Quebec
Visit site
i have the filter on one powerhead removed.. and same thing. The powerhead sometimes shoots air, but i think this is because my seaclone shoots a lot of bubbles and they get trapped inside the powerhead. Air accumulates then "bloog"..my powerhead "farts" a little.

TRe

Elite Fish
Feb 20, 2005
ft. lauderdale
i keep the airflow valve control set to the lowest setting cause on high it just makes mad bubbles all across the tank.....if i remove this hose wont it be on high all the time??? is this good??

wayne

Elite Fish
Oct 22, 2002
I would guess the fact that you have sponge filters on means there is a very slight back pressure on the input side of the powerhead. As the water is being sucked out of here, you'll get a very slight drop in pressure which will cause microbubbles to form, and I would guss they grow and stick together till 'boom'.
Unless it's excessive it's nothing to worry about. It's called 'cavitation'