air pump/air stone issue

prhelp

Large Fish
Apr 26, 2003
San Francisco Bay Area
Visit site
Hi all,

I'm setting up a 20g high tank (24 long x 16 high x 13 deep). So I bought an 18 inch long airstone that lays across the bottom, of course, plus a air pump rated for up to 50 gallons. I believe it is connected properly.

Problem is, the airstone strip only puts out bubbles along the first 8 or 9 inches or so (on the same end to which the clear airtube attaches). On the last 8 or so inches, there are few bubbles -- some, here and there, but not a ton.

I got the airstone at Petco, so maybe that's a problem. It is a simple long strip, with a whitish lavarock-feel stone with a black trim, I presume to weight it down a bit. Overall, it's very lightweight.

I'm wondering if I bought a bad airstone or a cheap one or what? Seems like a pump rated for 50 gal should be able to make this work. Is there something I'm missing?

Purple

Superstar Fish
Oct 31, 2003
Hampshire UK
Visit site
You'd be surprised how big an air-pump you'd need to run some of those bigger airstones – the rating on your pump is no guide to what will be required.

You have only tthree choices really ….

Bigger pump

Smaller stone

Place the existing stone at less depth

Orion

Ultimate Fish
Feb 10, 2003
Kentucky
www.thefishcave.net
100% agree with Purple. But I also found out that with the long ones I used to use if I didn't let them soak for a while in water with out any air connected they would tend to be uneven like what your describing. I might take it out, let it dry out completely, then you could just toss it in a tank over night to let it soak up water and then see what happens. But if your not seeing a lot on the end opposite where you hook the air supply up, Im thinking it might well be a pump that's not powerful enough.