air stone?

Sep 13, 2003
london
Visit site
i was thinking about putting an air stone in my tank but have noticed that most of the sw tanks i have seen dont have them is their a reason for this or is it just a matter of choice

Navyblue

Medium Fish
Feb 24, 2004
Visit site
Air stone is considered not desirable as it will cause salt spray when the bubbles reach the surface and burst.

But if you don't mind having salt creep it is fine to have it in there.

dbacksrat

Superstar Fish
Jun 3, 2003
Glendale, AZ
Visit site
i asked this question a couple months ago because i wanted to know if it would add oxygen and everyone said no--salt creep is not fun to deal with...i'm dealing with a mineral creep thing going on in my fw setup

1979camaro

Ultimate Fish
Oct 22, 2002
San Ramon, CA
salt creep is where salt and water from inside your tank gets on the equipment/outside of your tank...the water then evaporates leaving behind a little pile of salt which is stuck to your stuff

wayne

Elite Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Do you honestly think they make a difference? The bubbles don't dissolve in salt like they do in fresh. All they do is move the water around a bit.
Never used them, never needed them, only cause problems

phantomfe3

Large Fish
Dec 20, 2003
Bemidji, MN
Visit site
the only time ive used an airstone was the first day after i got my clown, i woke up and he was on the surface just barely swimming, i thought there was too much current in the tank for him so i shut down my filter and put in an air stone for some movement. turns out thats how alot of clowns without anemones sleep :D

slgcmg

Small Fish
Jun 14, 2004
ft. worth, tx.
Visit site
Originally posted by phantomfe3
the only time ive used an airstone was the first day after i got my clown, i woke up and he was on the surface just barely swimming, i thought there was too much current in the tank for him so i shut down my filter and put in an air stone for some movement. turns out thats how alot of clowns without anemones sleep :D

My helped my oxygen level tremendously.

Jul 1, 2003
Northern NJ
Visit site
the best way to get oxygen in your tank is thru water surface movement. Surface to air exchange is best. An airstone will help move the surface ofthe water causing oxygenation. Use of a power head will do the same. I have over 1600 gph of water movement in my 125 and i still think thats not enough. I just got a 930 gph powerhead (Hagen) for my refuguim for the return, right now i am running a 802 hagen (300+ gph??) Id rather have a power head moving water then an airstone. I'd worry about salinity changes from the salt creep and water evaporation more from an airstone then powerhead. good luck
Ron