Air Stones

Hi...I've had these air stones kicking around for a while, and I finally decided to put them to use in my new 90 gallon. Thing is, I can't get them to work.

I'm running the 100gallon tetra whisper air pump to a gang valve (all valves are open) and then into airline tubing that leads to four of these. Nothing's happening, though...no bubbles at ALL. Is there something about these things I should know, that perhaps I've missed?

Sep 10, 2006
Denver, CO
Hmm. I have purchased air pumps before and they come on but won't pump air. Could it be the pump? Have you played with the valves? I had to play with my valves to get mine to work. None of them are in the same position. Good luck!

Steven

Jan 13, 2006
Colorado
if the airstones have been used before, or have been sitting around for a while then i would replace them, A) if they were used before, they are clogged and wont work B) if they have been sitting around for a long time then they may be either faulty or past their time, i dont like the synthetic ones i prefer the wooden ones, try them, they get better air flow through them and last longer.

f8fan

MFT Staff
Nov 19, 2004
Bangor, Maine
Try blowing air through the tubing with your mouth - if you see bubbles then you know it's the pump that's not working.

I have had the same trouble with gang valves that cusunfireguy had, you have do sometimes do a little tweaking to get them all to distribute air evenly.