air walls

turbo_h4

Small Fish
Aug 24, 2003
Toronto
Visit site
I'm setting up my new 75G. I currently plan to put 3 oscars and 2 plecos inside. I have an XP3 filter and 2x20" bubble walls (total 40"). Should I leave the air pump running 24/7? Or should I set a timer on to run just a few hours each day? It's a whisper 60. I know it's only good for 60G but I think it shouldn't matter too much.

Also, can someone suggest one or two more fish to put it? I know it's already kind of full with 3 oscars esp when they grow to their full size. But I would love to put another fish in there. something with colour. Perhaps a jewel cichild or something.

Thanks again.

Fish Friend

Superstar Fish
May 29, 2005
England
www.piczo.com
You should leave it on 24/7 thats what most people do... if you were going to set it on a timer... youd better make sure you have an air valve wich stops water spihoning back into your pump... its up to you but its better for the fish if its on 24/7

Aaron

Large Fish
Sep 15, 2004
Right under your boat...
It doesn't really make much difference as even though the bubbles improve oxygen exchange and circulate the water the bubbles are mainly for looks. Leaving it on 24/7 will add a few cents to your electric bill and add a little more wear to your pump but either way it's up to you.

OCCFan023

Superstar Fish
Jul 29, 2004
New Jersey
I dont think you can fit any other fish in the tank. Not only will those oscars get bigger (and may need a bigger tank than the 75 if it was just them), but the plecos will get big as well. What type of plecos are they? just common's or something else?

svetlana

Large Fish
Feb 16, 2005
Gaithersburg, MD
home.uchicago.edu
I run air on my 29g each 30min for 10 min or so, works great. I run airwall for my cichlids 24/7 but it's only i b/c do not have timer. I also run airstone for my supposed to be breeding mollies all the time b/c my backcurrent valve got broken or something and when i turn it off w/o it the pump gets water in it.

I also think that you are already set with your fish. I would personally get rid of those poopers (plecos) and get nice Synodontis eupterus which is very cool fish. I have dark brown one with almost black polka dots, but today i saw sand-colored with brown polka dots - very very beautiful. They are funny to watch, active and look like a fish and not like some kind of leach and i never saw mine pooping in spite his eating very well and growing fast (but you always know how big it's going to get) *twirlysmi

turbo_h4

Small Fish
Aug 24, 2003
Toronto
Visit site
i have no idea what type of pleco they are.....i will take a picture of them tmrw for you, and hopefully you can identify them for me.

But I think one is common pleco, and the other is one with "reverse" in the name.