airstone info anyone?

Mar 13, 2009
Poconos, PA
I am setting up my 55g and everything is up and running except....the airstone.

There are no fish...as I am in the cycling process. I want to add the airstone but there is water in the tubing line when I place the airstone in the tank. Is this normal?...I don't remember.

I think its not and that if I turn it on I may end up with water all over the place.

I tried detaching and reattaching fresh tubing but the same thing happens. I am stumped on this one. Maybe there is a problem with the airstone?

Whiskers

Large Fish
Feb 29, 2008
central Michigan USA
your tubing is acting like a siphon when no air is going through it. so like giantmanlittlefish said, get check valve and put it in line. it is directional so make sure you put it in the right way. if your not using it, keep it out of the tank and you will be fine.

exhumed07

Superstar Fish
Apr 30, 2006
Illinois
I have a battery backup in my tank and there is always water in the tube. but the watter never gets higher then the water line. and as long as the water never travels up and over the top of the tank it will never syphon water out of the tank.

If u turn on the pump it will push the water out of the tube and start to bubble. turn off the pump and watch the water fill the tube. it happens so slow that the water can't build up the momentum to go over the top of the tank. so water in the tube is not a bad thing and aint going to hurt anything.

I have a 55g as well with an airpump. My airpump currently sits about 2 1/2 feet above the water line. The pump turns off at night and in the morning, the water has moved up the tube, but never goes past the water line. I have a check valve on one of the tubes but it doesn't seem to help much (it was free.) As long as your air pump is above, not below, the water level in your tank, you should be fine.

Mar 13, 2009
Poconos, PA
yes I have a check valve...so I guess that means I can plug in the airstone with no worries. I am cycling the tank without fish. For a few weeks I will be adding a little fish food (it breaks down into ammonia promoting the bacteria growth) And I do have the master's test kit that I will use to monitor the levels.

I just don't understand why water would go into the tube when I have the check valve and the tubing is secure. I wonder if this has happened to anyone else and how they fixed the issue.