albino cory question?

Jan 19, 2005
Astoria, NY
www.freewebs.com
i have 3 albino cories in my tank and they seem to act like dead, in other words, they barely move unlike before when they were so active and swim around... all of them are lying close together on a corner... what seems to be the problem???

Apr 22, 2003
NYC
shellvergel.blogspot.con
Acting dead - you mean lying on their side and not responding to you at all? Sometimes cories can easily sit (upright) in one spot for a long time and not move except to run of to the surface for a breath. but they should still be responsive - if you tap on the tank for example.

What are the parameters of your tank? Ammonia, nitrite, etc. Have you changed anything around recently that might cause them stress?

Cories are also more nocturnal, and may be more active at night, so observe them with the lights off as well.

revfred

Superstar Fish
Jun 21, 2003
St. Paul, MN
Visit site
How are the other fish behaving? If they are lethargic as well, Angel's suggestion of checking water parameters is a good one. Water parameters are "environmental factors" for fish and usually when they are out of kilter they are the primary cause of stress.

Jan 19, 2005
Astoria, NY
www.freewebs.com
nope they're not actually lying on their side, just not moving... but if they're like near the glass and i tap it they actually gonna move a little bit... but unlike before they were mad crazy...

my water parameters are perfect... all are in good levels... i didnt change anything... the last thing i did was a 40% regular water change...

Apr 22, 2003
NYC
shellvergel.blogspot.con
I wouldn't worry about it then, sounds like normal cory behavior to me. As long as they're sitting right-side up and are responsive, its not a problem. As for them acting crazy, they'll probably occasionally do so, cories typically do. They'll probably be more active at night.

Have you had the cories for a long time? They could still be getting used to your tank if you got them recently. Do they have a hiding spot, like a cave, pot, or some thick plants to go away to? They feel safer with some place to "retire" to, and wouldn't jam into a corner, most likely. It'd possibly also inspire them to be more active, as well.

Jan 19, 2005
Astoria, NY
www.freewebs.com
im just really curious about the behavior of my albino cories... they weren't really like this before when they were new in my tank... they were so active those days... goin everywhere... now they just stay in one place... how come? i thought cories are very active...

TommyR

Medium Fish
Nov 15, 2004
Hudson Valley of N.Y.
Visit site
chrysler_12 said:
i have 3 albino cories in my tank and they seem to act like dead, in other words, they barely move unlike before when they were so active and swim around... all of them are lying close together on a corner... what seems to be the problem???
Corys will sometimes just hang out on the bottom and rest, mine do all the time. Then, out of nowhere they'll go nuts and swim back and forth like crazy. Sorry to hear about your cory passing, I had one die yesterday and had to put a second down. Looks like both maybe fought, the front of their faces were messed up like they bit each other or something. I have 2 albinos left and a bronze. Corys are great fish and lots of fun.

Tom