Algae, Algae Everywhere...

pigs_fly

Large Fish
Jan 24, 2006
Texas
Ok guys, it's official - I HAVE ALGAE!!! So, any suggestions? The light is on pretty much all day, but I can't stop that because Idon't have a heater and the light gives off just enough heat. My tank is by my window, but i can't move it...the dorm is, well, a little limited on space :eek: So, with that said, any suggestions?

I have a 2.5 hex that gets a lot of sunlight. I turn the light off just before bed, and the temp stays pretty stable(It's usually only off for about 6 hours).

I had some obscene algae in there; every 4 or 5 days I'd have to scrape the sides. My solution, was to put some stem plants in there, and some ramshorn snails(The small variety, they came on another batch of plants).

Now if you think that snails are gross or unsightly, this isn't for you. If you don't mind them, my tank hasn't had a single spot of algae in months.

Sep 16, 2005
a few things you could do...

1. check out getting one of these.
i know cash is usually tight in college, but it's only ten bucks, for the luxury of getting to turn your light off every once in a while ;)

2. get a piece of sun-proof fabric to veil the tank from the sunlight.

3. plants are a great idea. java moss, cryptocorynes, and java fern are pretty low maintenance, low light plants to start off with. plus it's cute to watch your fishie take little betta naps on them. they will absorb the nutrients in your water, which should "starve" the algae. it's better to get all of your plants at once instead of little by little, because if you put one plant in at a time, that just gives the algae a chance to start growing all over it.

4. is your light incandescent or cf? if you have incandescent, i would suggest switching bulbs ASAP. incandescent only encourages algae growth. the cf (twirly) bulbs are available in kelvin temps and phosphors much better suited to growing plants. 5000K to 6500K is a good range.

5. if you're getting a lot of algae on the sides of the tank, perhaps invest in a magnet scrubber, or one of the old fashioned "scrubby pad on a stick". if you go this route, look for ones specifically made for acrylic tanks (i assume that's what you have).

6. take extra care to make sure you're not overfeeding (i doubt this is the case, as most bettas are little piggies who will chase sinking food right to the bottom, but you never know.)

7. an oto or a couple caridina japonica shrimp. while you shouldn't depend on your creatures to keep your algae at bay, it helps. and they sure are cute. this would arguably be overstocking your tank, though, so you would probably need to do more frequent water changes.

8. speaking of water changes, do you know what your water parameters are? if you wait too long between changes, or if your tap water is abnormally high in nitrates, phosphates, etc., that could be encouraging the algae.

Last edited:
May 9, 2005
West Haven, CT
Sun light is going to do you in! I don't need chemicals. The algae won't hurt your fish, it's just unsightly and the problem causing your algae might hurt it. AND treating the algae will only make it crop up again, treat what is causing it. that said:

Don't overfeed (as stated) and more frequent partial changes should help. Waste and debris contribute to algae growth- its food for it. And make sure you can get debris off the bottom.

No sun!! (as stated).

Plants can either help or make it worse. If the plant thrives, it will out compete the algae- low light plants a best as you don't need more light to promote the problem. Look for things that are easy to grow.
plantgeek.net is an awsome site for plants. IT ALSO HAS A SECTION ON ALGAE!!!! Where you'll see what I am saying. If the plant doesn't do well it will just rot and make it worse.

Remember different alage grows for different reasons. And some are easier to control than others.

Please don't put another fish in you 1.5. it is way tooooooooooooo small. Snails are good. ghost shrimp too (I can't remember if they help though). WATCH snails though because they make waste and if THAT is why you have the algae, it will just contribute to the problem.

Good luck!!

pigs_fly

Large Fish
Jan 24, 2006
Texas
Thanks all, I know that the sunlight isn't the best for the algae, but, ya do what can with what you have...so, I will look into everything said above. Ill look into getting a plant when I set up the 10gal this summer for my Flounder boy :rolleyes:. Until then, I suppose if nothing else works I'll use a little aquarium sponge that I have. I do my water changes every Sunday. I'm not overfeeding - even though he always wants more ;). Thanks all!

Sep 2, 2005
North East Philly
try this

Hmm maybe but blinds on the window to stop alot of sunlight. Buy a phosphate pad to add to your filter or use spring water. Phosphate is the result of fish poo, food or if you use tap water, the companies put phosphate to help keep the pipes safe. High levels can trigger algae growth too.

pigs_fly

Large Fish
Jan 24, 2006
Texas
We have blinds on the window and I use spring water.

Ninamarie, do you use a phosphate pad? Is that what you were saying about you just changed it yesterday?

pigs_fly

Large Fish
Jan 24, 2006
Texas
Ok, thanks, I dont know how that would work with my current filter setup, but I will look into it. And if it wont work, then I'll just wait till I get home for the summer and can set up the 10gal. My little tank scrubber pad will work well enough for now :)

Oh ya, ninamarie, my mom is doing the march of dimes too :) Good luck with it! I have Relay For Life tonight, I am so excited about it! I won't reach my fundraising goal, but, it's ok, I'm still really excited about it!! I didn't get any donations from anyone I sent out information to, how sad is that? The only money I have is the money I put in myself :( But, hey, at least I tried, right?

Well, gotta hit up the books before tonight, so im out for now

pigs_fly

Large Fish
Jan 24, 2006
Texas
Hello all, I have another question about my algae issue. I have some growing on my plants now and so, I was wondering about cleaning the plants. Is it ok to take them out and scrub them down in my old tank water? Or will scrubbing themdown kill to much of the bacteria and thus screw up my water..?

pigs_fly

Large Fish
Jan 24, 2006
Texas
Well, today is tank cleaning day (aka: water change day), so I guess I'm gonna go ahead and wiped down Flounder's plants for him - in his old tank water of course. So, we shall see how that goes. And I'll wipe down the sides of his tank to relieve the algae growth - yuck! But it's ok, I dont mind doing it, haha, it kinda feels like its bath day for my baby ;) I'll probably get up his new pics a little later on today too :)