algae bloom

mitchgrant

Small Fish
Sep 16, 2006
i have green murky water. i have done 25% water changes every other day for the past two weeks to no avail. i don't want to use chemicals. water test came back ok. i've even slacked off on the feeding. what to do?!?*ALL*

epond83

Large Fish
Mar 11, 2007
I've heard that suspending willow cuttings in the tank works pretty well, sucks the aviable nutrients out pretty fast.

Also have you cut down the amount of light to the tank?

dogdoc

Large Fish
Sep 6, 2005
Here's my experience FWIW. I fought this evil monster for more than 6 months. Tried everything I could find on the net. Blackouts, willow branches, different fert routines, different lighting, huge water changes,you name it. I was about to give up the hobby.Finally broke down and bought a UV sterilizer and it worked amazingly well.

You also need to find out if you can what the original trigger was. Usually some source of ammonia and lots of light. Then you can keep it from coming back.

Apr 9, 2008
I had this same problem for a few weeks in my 14 gallon. I tried water changes, decreased light, etc. I finally bought Algaquel from That Fish Place (after checking it out online of course!). I used it exactly asthe bottle stated and right after the second dose, my water started clearing up! It hasnt affected my fish in any way either. It does say it will kill snails, but there was a few I couldnt see because the water was so murky, and they are still living! It is safe for plants also. I just did partial water change and it is so nice to be able to see my fish again! Hope this helps!

TabMorte

Superstar Fish
Jan 17, 2008
Are these brand new tanks?

Algae's REALLY common in new tanks.

Other common causes of algae and/or murky, milky water: Not enough water movement, over 10 hours a day of light, over feeding, flucuating CO2 levels (particularly if dosing with Excel), too much CO2, ammonia/nitrites/nitrates.

Milky water is especially common with the ammonia spike in the cycle as dogdoc said and if you're tank is new that's what I would expect as well. If it's not you need to start looking at the other things I've listed here.

Also is it murkey green or murky white? I just finished a battle with green water and the thing that finally broke the green water for good was getting a new filter with a higher turn over rate to create a lot more water circulation in the tank (and also a better filtering process).