algae eater for cichlid tank

fur43

Medium Fish
Dec 3, 2006
Sacramento, California
I have a ten gallon tank with one blue acara cichlid (almost sure) but he has an aglae problem because I just put some driftwood in his tank. What cleaner fish should I add to the tank?

Oh and I am planning to eventually get another blue acara for him as a friend if that makes a bit of difference.

No offense but you should get a lrager tank for the Acara, as they are cichlids and need space. Not sure on how large but if you get a 55g you can get many other Africans along with him.

Algae Eaters........Hmm the only one I would suggest is an Oto....but I would be worried about adding them with Africans due to different water conditions and also aggression your Acara has.

Jul 9, 2003
Columbia, SC
www.youtube.com
I wouldn't put 2 in a 10gal tank. I'm not sure i'd put 1 acara in a 10gal personally.

As for the algea, what kind is it? What does it look like? It'd be better to slove the problem and get rid of the algae so it doesn't return then trying to let another fish do it for you. Not to mention the algae eating fish will add to your bioload and make more mess then you want. Hence the reason why i dislike plecos and bottem feeders.

And James, acaras are from South America they are not africans..... meaning africans would not work with them.

Last edited:

fur43

Medium Fish
Dec 3, 2006
Sacramento, California
The algae is short and white (maybe light brown) not much more I can tell you. What do you guys normally do to get rid of algae?

I'm trading my 20g & 10g for a 30g. Then moving most of my fish to another tank I'm building (85g)

Orion

Ultimate Fish
Feb 10, 2003
Kentucky
www.thefishcave.net
I have never heard of adding driftwood causeing algae. And to the best of my knowledge there isn't any species of algae found in home aquaria that is white. Is the 'algae' only on the driftwood? If so, then sounds like it's just some bacteria. You can take the driftwood out and clean it good under hot water, or even boil it for about 15-20 minutes and then scrub it if you want. I don't think that the bacteria is actualy harmfull, just unsightly. There isn't any fish that I know of that would eat the stuff, but a few that may pick at it.

Not wanting to harp, but the acara does need a larger tank. An 85 gallon would make one heck of a nice SA cichlid tank! :)

chan

Small Fish
Feb 25, 2007
Toronto
not too familiar with the cichlid family, but isn't there dwarf cichlid you can put in smaller tanks??? I'm actually thinking of doing that with my 10 gal also. maybe 2 dwarf cichlids???

As for algae, maybe shrimps or snails?!?!?