algae eater question

May 12, 2005
Georgia
I have had two common Chinese algae eaters and the older and bigger they got the more mean and aggressive they became and then they quit doing their job. One died and the last one I adopted out to a friend because he was so grumpy. I finally got an Otocinclus Cat and it's been doing a great job so far in my dwarf puffer tank. I also have mollies that love algae.

Timbo

Large Fish
Jun 21, 2005
Nottingham UK
Flying foxes are quite good, especially if you get that black "chinese hair" growing. Bristle nose are great. and Otos are too. Snails do a pretty good job.

thank you :) I'll go check those links!
I had 2 of the chinese algae eaters in my 29g and they got HUGE. Ate everything in site to where my snails werent eating and then they turned on my snails. I gave them to a friend who has a much larger tank. I have 3 snails but they don't do as well on the tank sides, so I'm going to back to adding a algae eatter

FroggyFox

Forum Manager
May 16, 2003
Colorado
Bristlenose plecos are great...I have a rubbernose pleco that is cute. You can always keep your eyes open for any interesting pleco types...and if you didn't want one that is usually available in stores locally you could check out aquabid or local fish clubs to see if anyone has an interesting one you could buy.

Stevie

Large Fish
Apr 2, 2005
Sunny Ireland.
Firstly, wilsonriverfish thanks very much for such a head wrecking avatar,I tought I was drunk!! lol

I would go with froggy. The Bristle(spl?) nose is great. I found it to be a better eater than the common pelc. It also looks way better and does not grow as big,so winner all round. I'd say its pricer though. Bout 22 Euro over here.

Toam

Large Fish
Jul 27, 2005
Grove, Oklahoma
I have an albino bristlenose pleco, and she is one active bugger for eating algae. If you want something different though.... go for something local you might now have heard of... The american flag fish. A small school 3-4 just chews through algae, plus they'll take care of any hair algae as well. and they are super pretty.

Balance

Large Fish
Jul 16, 2003
Aurora, IL
www.myspace.com
I like the true Saimese Algae Eaters myself (usually referred to as SAE's)

get about as big as the Chinese algae eaters, but have a better temperment.
plus you can get more then one and they will school.

the 3 i have are all about 5.5" long, and they love to school around the tank and harass my rainbow =)

I like petsmart ...

I like petsmarts quarrantee! At least in ontario canada!;) *BOUNCINGS But I'm a newbie... but I think anywhere that'll take back a fish that doesnt get along with your other ones is pretty good ... I think it was like 14 days no ?s asked basically.
Now as for your tank I had the same problem with my 1st tank a small one.... I learnt from my mistake and did a fishless cycle.... I'm about to change my oscar into a bigger tank ... but I don't want to wait to cycle it with ammonia ... wondering if I can just put the filter from the old tank into the new one to have the good gunk on it??? I'm also going to put in the large rock from the tank too... I'm hoping thisll be enough... :confused:

davidmold

Small Fish
Apr 12, 2006
www.lanticmedia.com
Hi Kelly

Yes, transferring the filter and rock will probably help, you just have to be sure to test the water every day until it settles down, in case it isn't enough, and do water changes if the levels are too high. Even if your tank ends up cycling, the fish will be fine as long as you monitor the levels and keep up with the water changes