Algae-Eater Tank?

ttmnky

Large Fish
Jan 16, 2005
Vancouver, BC
Visit site
I recently moved the occupants of the 2.5 gallon tank to a larger tank, and now, I have an empty tank. Not really liking this current "set-up", I came up with the idea of a low-maintenance, yet inexpensive and "natural" set-up: Algae-eaters

I've been looking into Otocincluses and even butterfly loaches. The latter may be a bit harder to do, but would an aquaclear filter turned on at nearly maximim work for said loach?

Also, would it be a wise idea after I have suitable algae growing to go for such a set-up? Any critiques, comments? I'm really actually looking for some more unusual fish which stay small (less than 2 inches, prefferably)

And please, do not suggest I get a betta or shrimp, as I already have bettas and shrimp around my lfs cost an arm and a leg.

I've though about maybe 2-3 Otocinclus, a the typical substrate, Aquaclear filter (mini), lots of Java Fern and Moss and a small piece of driftwood... This is to be my minimalistic set-up which I would maintain, but do not want to spend too much time or money on.

nobody

Large Fish
Sep 26, 2005
Utah
Is this set up for your 2.5 tank? Sorry I probably missed that.

I don't know anything about the loaches. I have tried the Otocinclus twice before and one died in a week and the other died in a day. One thing I was told about the Oto's was that they stay pretty small. So, if you can get them to work in your tank great. You got a small algea eater. I personally now have 3 algea eaters, that's their real name, 2 spotted and 1 gold. The biggest is probably ful grown now and is about 2 inches. They also clean everything. The gravel, the glass, the ornaments, the filter tube. everything.

Anyway I hope that helps some. Good luck.

P.S. it is always suggested to wait a week after setting up you tank before you add algea eaters of any sort. By then there should be found grown for them. :D

JNevaril

Large Fish
Jul 10, 2005
Lincoln, Nebraska
oto's are SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO cute.

you'd really like them.

They'll clean the tank up pretty quickly though, so you may need to 'supplement' their diet with some algae tablets or flakes.

:)

Sandtiger

Large Fish
Mar 2, 2005
Simi Valley, CA
I know you said that you didn't really want to do shrimp but there are some really neat ones for a 2.5 Their called crystal red shrimp and their some of the more "exotic" shrimp. They're fairly easy to keep, their more sensative to disolved wastes that other shrimp but wastes are eaisliy kept down with water changes. Their also easy fairly to breed, but most of the eggs get eaten. They can be orderd on-line and are less expensive than most of the other exotics I've seen. Just don't put them in with fish, or they'll get eaten.

ttmnky

Large Fish
Jan 16, 2005
Vancouver, BC
Visit site
On the topic of Otos, then, does anyone know how to effectively control the growth of algae; for example, to "cultivate" algae from another tank to put into the "algae eater" tank? I've thought about a bowl with lots of rocks and some aquarium water, but is a there any other means of growing "good" algae?

Igor The Cat

Superstar Fish
Jul 14, 2003
Seattle, Washington
Like lotus said, dont put hillstream (butterfly) loaches in that smal of a tank....i have a 10gal setup for as a species tank and the only way i get enough current in the tank is to reun an AC 150(30) with one AC 201 and a magnetic maxi-jet, plus they need a lot of green algea....I have another tank that my algea growing tank ill put rocks in there and a week later they are feeding my fish.

ttmnky

Large Fish
Jan 16, 2005
Vancouver, BC
Visit site
I'll probably try and lots of other food in the tank to keep them from going hungry (otos), but I'll also try to grow some natural algae for them to eat. Hope this plan will work. It'll end up being a densely planted tank with a large piece of driftwood, lots of javamoss and such.

Any comments or any suggestions?

jaglar

Large Fish
Sep 20, 2005
Victoria, BC
to grow algae I would just get a live plant from petco or something. give it a little extra light too and your tank should start to grow. Be careful you will prolly get more than you wish for. I have a ten gal and 2 oto's they cant keep up with the algae growth! good luck