Algae growth

Jamarr

Small Fish
May 16, 2010
Florida
My tank is in the cycling process and there is alot of algae growth from this morning till right now 7pm. Should I put something in for this or just let it cycle?

susieq728

Medium Fish
Jan 31, 2010
Midway, GA
I'm fairly new, but from what it shows you have and it's beginning cycle, let it do it's own thing. You can scrape it if you wish, but if you don't have any fish in, etc. you might as well let the nitrates burn out on the brown algae for the time being.

Jamarr

Small Fish
May 16, 2010
Florida
Thanks, need as many pointers as possible, this is my first tank. Everything was good on the 11th day, I added
1 clown
2 snails
4 hermits
My girl decided she wanted to suprise me and she added another clown on the 13th day without me knowing. The next day(14thday) I came home and the clowns and snails were dead. Here I am today with all the problems.

Last edited:

susieq728

Medium Fish
Jan 31, 2010
Midway, GA
I'm with unwritten, is it brown, green or both? Tell ur girl that you love her to death but saltwater is FAR different than freshwater! The tank is far too new for anything other than one fish at the MOST right now. Damsels are prob. the most hardy, but also most annoying. Clowns are good but only have ONE at the most right now!

Last edited:

susieq728

Medium Fish
Jan 31, 2010
Midway, GA
You can scrape off the green algae with a scraper in your local store or the cheap way like I do and use an old credit card. :) Green algae usually forms (to the best of my knowledge ;) ) after your brown algae in that area is gone.