Algae infestation

dax

Small Fish
Mar 27, 2006
Canada
Hey, I have 2 betta tanks both about 1 gallon well they are both infested with algae. They are not in a diret sunlight area, I have been limiting the food, and the lights are off what can be done? I also do water changes often.I cannot have algae eaters as the bettas are too agressive . My sister has the same tank and has been doing all of the above and has the same problems

Ps my 25 Gal tank has no problems but I have a pleco. Any suggestions ? It is so annoying .

Pure

Elite Fish
Nov 1, 2005
Jacksonville, FL
In a tank so small algae shouldn't be a problem, because you should be pulling it apart and scrubbing it with it's 100% weekly water change.

edit: great minds think alike Froggy. :p

Last edited:

FroggyFox

Forum Manager
May 16, 2003
Colorado
How often do you do water changes? When I had a tank that small I usually ended up pretty much doing a 100% change and scraping any algae off the sides about once a week. (if it has a ugf in it dont wash the rocks out...just put them in a bowl or something and set them aside while you clean the tank or always do it with dechlorinated water)

Edit: yeah what Pure said. Takes me too long to write! heh

dax

Small Fish
Mar 27, 2006
Canada
I clean the tank 100% once a week scubbing everything. I leave the lights on like my big tank when I get up in the morning and when I go to bed at night about 10 Hours. I tried to upload pics but the file was to big

FroggyFox

Forum Manager
May 16, 2003
Colorado
Thats probably way too long on the lights since you dont have any live plants in there. You could try only turning the light on for a couple of hours in the evening when you want to enjoy the tank? Or you could try adding some live plants...

With algae that shows up that fast, there is something totally out of balance, and if the tank gets 10 hours of light a day, that could definitely be the cause.

dax

Small Fish
Mar 27, 2006
Canada
I guess where its alot smaller then my big tank it has some different needs. I will reduce the time that I leave my lights on. Thank you.