algae  problem

aquatek

Small Fish
Oct 22, 2002
If I dont clean the tank wall for 2 weeks, then algae becomes visible. I get brown and green fimly or soft algae, calceous green algae, dark soft brown algae, and few coraline purple algae. Any ways to keep the algae down and why do my tank get algaes...? Do I need better filtration? Thanks.

Volitan

Medium Fish
Oct 22, 2002
www.fishbowlauctions.com
Are you using RO/DI water? if not.. you have High Phosphates.. and what lighting do you have? you can use a Product My KENT called Phosphate Sponge.. that will help rid the water of phosphates.. and if your lighting is in 5000 up to even 15000k range this can trigger algea growth.. better to have 20,000k lighting IMHO

aquatek

Small Fish
Oct 22, 2002
RO/DI water? For evaportation I use deionized or distilled drinking water. Phosphate eh? Where did the phosphate come from??? I used Kent's phosphate sponge 2 years ago but since then I haven't.... I thought once you get rid of phosphate they are gone forever, I guess not.
Im not too sure about my lighting, maybe 10,000k. Use 20,000k ? I will see into it. I heard Hamilton compact floursecent lights are good but its expensive....

Last edited: