algae problem

bsmall05

Large Fish
Nov 8, 2006
Newport News, VA
i have algae growing out of my filter... this is prety gross and i have no idea where its coming from. i know that i have to change the filter, but what could be causing the growth. the tank is in a room where the stove is and the water has been evaporating a bit quicker than normal, but i have the heater in it and the temp has been prety constant. any input would be appreciated, id like to get rid of it... thinking about a snail... thanks guys!!

Lonewolfblue

Superstar Fish
Jun 5, 2006
Wenatchee, WA
www.nw-wolf.com
Does it smell? If it does, then it's BGA. Common causes for BGA is nitrates dropping out and low or no circulation. It can be different colors as well, but is usually very slimy, has a smell to it, and even bubbles forming in it. If in a planted tank, it's caused by no nitrates or dead spots in the tank where there's no or low circulation. And it's also common when you have too much disolved organics as well, from either dying plant pieces and overfeeding. Try cutting back on feeding and increasing some circulation in the tank.

bsmall05

Large Fish
Nov 8, 2006
Newport News, VA
thanks LWB and maha for the reply. the only problem is... its growing on the part of my filter where the water flows back into the tank, thats where the water is moving the most. i dont think it smells, but it is slimy and kinda looks like hair. its long and stringy and deep green.

hope everyone has a great holiday!

Lotus

Ultimate Fish
Aug 26, 2003
Southern California
home.earthlink.net
BGA can definitely grow on the outlet of the filter. What color and texture is the algae?

I would take off the filter and scrub it. Don't clean out the bio media or other media, but clean out the filter well, and it may take care of the problem.

bsmall05

Large Fish
Nov 8, 2006
Newport News, VA
it sure sounds like we have the same stuff maha! i also noticed that there are spots on my glass, they are moving with the movement of the water. i bought a snail when i was at walmart but i think hes scared of my loaches and wont come out and attach to the glass. i think my next step will be to buy one of those magnet thingies after christmas. thanks for the help, maybe ill get a pic when it grows back.

lotus: i pulled it out and scrubbed the outlet really well. i also changed the filter, because it was greenish too and it was about time to change. thanks for the help!