algae

Mar 6, 2004
leicester
Visit site
hi again kind people i have a brown algae problem in my marine tank i just can't shift it.also my only coral i have is not looking it's best i don't know what it's called (forgot sorry) but it's drooping all the time.any help please!!!

S.Reef

Superstar Fish
Dec 1, 2003
Michigan
Make sure your phosphates are low. For the coral keep calcium levels high, along with the salinity. I cant really diagnose the problem until i get more information. (lighting, calcium, nitrite, nitrate, ph, hardness)

Sam Reef

1979camaro

Ultimate Fish
Oct 22, 2002
San Ramon, CA
how many watts of light, how big is the tank, you need those test kits...the tang sounds like it has ich, as for the coral i am doubting you have enough light for it assuming it is photosynthetic...do you have a clean up crew of any sort? are you using a skimmer? hob filter? berlin method?

we really need a lot more info

Mar 6, 2004
leicester
Visit site
tank is 180 litres yes i'm using a skimmer but not at the moment because i have a treatment in my tank called melafix it's for repairing damaged fins and users and stuff.i have a eheim pro wet/dry filter i have no clean up crew as i have a blue dogged faced puffer so he will eat my "clean up crew"berlin method?????i will find out about the lights as i'm not sure i will see the kind man at my lfs who sold them to me

wayne

Elite Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Big dave, you really need to do some basic research. He has a 40 with NO fluorescents , not much live rock and a big fish load. Could be diatoms or slime algae - if you syphon it all out, how long does it take to regrow.
You don't have enough light for the coral, and to be frank I'd imagine you have pretty horrible water quality, thus the tang will be totally prone to any infections.
My honest suggestion is to go to Clearwater aquatics (lok in phone book ) or similar, and get some reading material. Your current system is not likely to be successful in my honest opinion

S.Reef

Superstar Fish
Dec 1, 2003
Michigan
Do not treat with Melafix. In this case it is doing absolutely nothing. Your Nitrite level should be zero, and been zero for a few weeks before you added the coral. Your ntirate level should also be close to zero. The salinity should be 1.024-1.026, if you have a reef tank. Also turn the skimmer back on. Trade the puffer and get a clean-up crew. I would also return the coral until you have good water quality.

Sam Reef

Flame

Small Fish
Aug 21, 2005
Oklahoma, USA
I would suggest you follow the instructions listed above. You are headed down the same road I took a few weeks ago. I lost everything except 2 very tough fish that refused to die no matter what I did wrong. I have started from scratch and going very slow this time. Following the information here and from books suggested here and other forums. Take your time. Go slow and read a lot.

Flame

Small Fish
Aug 21, 2005
Oklahoma, USA
OCCFan023 said:
better late than never ;).

Flame so you restarted your system? What kind of tank are you doing? What kind of fish survived that you still have?
OCC I have a 55 gallon with 10lbs LR, 1 Blue Tang, 1 Scooter. 4 inches of fine grain sand base. The tank has just about completed its cycle, every thing is at zero except the Nitrate that is still about 25 ppm and Nitrite which is about 10ppm. My two fish are at home in a 20 gallon tank waiting for the move back to thier home.

Other Equipment
1 Corallife Super Skimmer
1 Penn-Plax Cascade Filter
1 20W 50/50 coralife

I just added to much to fast. Thanks to all that have posted here I have found most of my mistakes and hope to be smarter this time around.

OCCFan023

Superstar Fish
Jul 29, 2004
New Jersey
Well I wish you the best of luck, and it looks like you've learned alot and have really worked hard. Keep us posted on the progress and any updates, and maybe some pictures? I think I speak for everyone that pictures would be awsome.