Algae???

b_melton8

Small Fish
Oct 7, 2004
Visit site
I just bought a 55 gal. sw set up about a week ago and everything is great. The corals are coming back out nicely and everything seems to be good. The water quality is good other than the nitrates are a little high. My question is, i notice today that ONLY on the front glass, it looks like there's dust on the inside of the glass. I know it's not dust, but is this normal, maybe algae, or is it something i should be concerned about? It just looks like a white powder, almost like it's salt or something. The tank has been set up by the previous owner for at least a year i know. Thanks for any help.

DSK

Large Fish
Oct 12, 2004
Michigan
Visit site
It is really nothing to be worried about ( I think ) if you just set it up it is more then likely little bits of gravel / sand sticking to the side of the glass. You can just wipe it off and it will be fine.

What kind of gravel did you use in the tank?

aresgod

Superstar Fish
Jan 14, 2004
mass
Visit site
i agree, if you used a fine sand as a substrate when first setting up the tank you will notice that it covered all the glass on all sides, since it is just the front that is strange, are there powerheads hooked up moving water on the other parts of the glass, it also could be algae, more specifics would be helpful
Brahm

wayne

Elite Fish
Oct 22, 2002
No it was probably diatoms. I would imagine you didn't move all the water, but remade a bunch? You will have enough silica in there for a light dose of diatoms