algae

Julie-Anne

Large Fish
Sep 23, 2004
Gimli Manitoba
Visit site
ok i have a really bad algae problem in my 10 gallon tank i mean bad its like a layer of slime covering the bottom of my tank with air bubbles underneth i vacumed a few days ago and its back its really annoying in my tank theres 1 snail 6 harliquin rasboras and 2 neons would it be alright if i added a bushynosed pleco? is anyone familiar with these are they good algae eaters ?

Lotus

Ultimate Fish
Aug 26, 2003
Southern California
home.earthlink.net
It sounds to me like you might have blue-green algae. It's a dark green color (almost black) and forms in sheets on the gravel and plants. Does that sound like what you have? If so, no fish will eat it.

If you think that's what you have, let us know, as it's not the same treatment for all kinds of algae. :)

Lotus

Ultimate Fish
Aug 26, 2003
Southern California
home.earthlink.net
Does it look like this: http://www.plantgeek.net/articles/gg_algae_faq/bga1.jpg

If so, the best thing to do is a tank blackout:

1. Do a largish water change
2. Cover tank completely with trash bags/blankets so no light can get in
3. Leave for 5 days, no feeding, no peeking. Keep filters/heaters running.
4. Uncover tank and do a large water change

Your fish will be fine without food for 5 days, so don't worry about that. This is the safest and cheapest way (and most natural) to get rid of this. If it doesn't work, then you may need to resort to certain antibiotics, which can seriously damage your biological filter (good bacteria).

Julie-Anne

Large Fish
Sep 23, 2004
Gimli Manitoba
Visit site
alright ill try that and see if it helps it looks nasty and anywho after i get rid of this will it be ok to add a bushynose pleco? i think their kinda cute but i dont know a whole elot about them other than the fact that they stay fairly small

Lotus

Ultimate Fish
Aug 26, 2003
Southern California
home.earthlink.net
I wouldn't recommend any kind of a pleco in anything less than a 20g tank. Others may disagree, but I think they're just miserable in a small tank, and are also fairly heavy on the bioload, which will generally be unhealthy for the tank as a whole. You could probably put one in your 30g tank. :)

discus4everGrl

Superstar Fish
May 24, 2005
Chesapeake, Va
Sunlight from a window will cause constant algea problems, even if it's indirect and will cause that algae that looks like brownish to green and forms a layer of slime on everything. Most algaes have different degree's of easyness to wipe off. If your tank is near a window, forms a layer of brownish slime on just about everything and is easy to wipe off it's the sunlight.