Algae

Fish Friend

Superstar Fish
May 29, 2005
England
www.piczo.com
Hi, Ive got a problem of algae in my fry tank, if i just clean the stuff off the front so i can see in the tank, but leave some at the back will i be ok ? ive heard fish get micro-orgasims that live in the algae thats good for them, so in another way, shall i just leave the stuff on the back for an extra food source for the fry ? :)
Cheers, Adam

depends what kind of algae, if its green spot algae then the fry can't eat them. I would go ahead and clean it all off and if you want to give them algae you can buy some algae wafers and just drop one in each day or every other day. Do you leave the light on all day? If you dont have any plants you dont have to leave it on cause it'll just cause more algae.

Fish Friend

Superstar Fish
May 29, 2005
England
www.piczo.com
The tank is on the other side of the room from the window, and its the furry type algae that growing. And i turn my light on in the morning when i wake up and turn it off when i go to bed, so yes, it is on mostly all day.

Apr 7, 2005
NE Ohio
Well since you didn't state that you have any live plants in there, you don't have to keep it on that much. If you're going to keep it on all day, be prepared to deal with an algae problem quite often, as you don't have anything to absorb the light.

Maybe think about putting an otto in there just to help keep some of the algae down, and under control.

discus4everGrl

Superstar Fish
May 24, 2005
Chesapeake, Va
if it's across from a window, it prolly will be a constant problem. I would put some drapes up it were me. I got one across from a window about 14 feet away in funny enough the front grows algea but not the rest. Thank goodness it has discus thus I am doing 10 percent water changes daily and clean the glass everyday otherwise it would drive me nuts - - if I'm not already, but thats for another post...