Algae !!!!!!!!

Jul 1, 2005
My fish tank starts to have algae ~~ does anyone knows tat wat fish eat algae and is non-agressive....and will not bully small fishes?

FroggyFox

Forum Manager
May 16, 2003
Colorado
It would help us a lot to hear the size of your tank and which fish and how many are in it? Different fish eat different types of algae, so if you can describe the algae for us that would help too (is it green in spots on the glass, is it brown all over the glass and things in the tank, is it hairy etc)

i dont think corys eat much algae cause i've been to a lot of sites with algae eating fish in them and i've never seen corys being mentioned... but they might, dunno. Also aren't most loaches more of a meat eater then algae? plecos are definently a good choice but depends what kind of pleco cause most plecos grow big, if its a small tank a bristlenose or a rubberlipped are good choices. Most kind of shrimp are good choices and also otocinclus's. But like what froggy fox said, we need to know more info. Heres a site to help you id the algae or if you still need help you can tell us what it looks like http://www.plantgeek.net/article_viewer.php?id=9

May 9, 2005
West Haven, CT
black and dalmation mollies eat it off the glass. Loaches eat the actuall plants!! (they think it's funny). And coreys eat algae tabs, but I don't think they eat much from the tank...well not mine.

Algae is an imbalance in something...overfeeding, insufficient water canges, too much nutrient. Make sure you realize the cause or else it is an endless battle. You may be able to solve it without the addition of more fish. You may not be able to solve it with fish at all.

For instance, if it is an overall green tank, I'd do a black out and not get another fish. Good luck!