Algae

Jan 20, 2008
it seems that i have algae growing on the walls of my tank and heater, im not sure what i should do

should i just completely clean it or just find algae killer? and if i use the algae killer should i keep all of my fish out while i do it?

ps water changes havent done anything at all really

emmanuelchavez

Superstar Fish
Feb 22, 2008
Otocinclus fish are GREAT algae eaters. I had one of my 5 gallons have a big algae outbreak, I just put 2 of them in there... within 48 hours, the big green spots were gone, and they're still working on the algae on the walls.

I'd go with this option before adding chemicals.

They're only about 1" in size too, so they stay small.
You'd be overstocking your 14 gallon tank if you add an Oto though... I'd wait to see what other people, whom have more experience, have to say.

emmanuelchavez

Superstar Fish
Feb 22, 2008
Oh. I've also read that if you have live plants, they can outcompete the algae for the nutrients in the water, reducing the amount of algae.... I'm assuming that's true, because my 15 gallon tank, which has many plants, is essentially algae free, while my tanks with fake plants have algae...

Jul 9, 2003
Columbia, SC
www.youtube.com
What kind of algae? Is the tank new? New tanks develop brown algae/diatoms all the time. Could be from silicates/nitrates in the water, or not enough light. Different types of green algae can mean to much nutrients in the water, possibly from overfeeding, excess lighting, etc. Sometimes its better to find the root of the problem instead of going for a temporary fix like a fish that ultimately adds more to your bioload and can cause further problems.

ishar

MFT Staff
Jul 27, 2007
Hamilton, ON.
Well, help us help you :)

What colour is the algae, what is the shape and texture of it, how long do your lights run, how many fish are in what size of tank, how much do you feed them and how often?

Otos are a great way to clean up algae, but they don't solve the real problem. Find out what the problem actually is that is making the algae grow and then solve that with ,if you want, the help of an algae eater like an otto. DO NOT use chemicals to remove your algae... chemicals only create problems down the road.

If you want, you can look through the journal I have linked in my signature- near the last few pages I have been documenting my experience with a hairy bright green algae that totally took over my tank.