Algae?

feliciae

Medium Fish
Jun 29, 2010
I am having some big issues with algae in my water right now, and if it's not algae, then I don't know whats going on.
The water is green, and not a pretty 'mybackgroundgravelfishandlightsaregreen' kind of way, in a 'ohlookafishtankI'mevilalgaeandIwilltakeover' Kind of way.

Any cures for it? I have two common plecos in there right now to help try and clean it up, and I put a background on it so I could limit the direct light exposure and therefore not feed the nasty stuff.
I did a 50% water change yesterday, and I've been doing 20% water changes every week.
and it seems as though it isn't helping.
I don't have anything growing on the rocks or plants in there right now, (well, Java moss, but that's besides the point) my water is just really green.
Help?!

Feb 27, 2009
Common plecos do not filter-feed so would not eat greenwater. They eat soft algae growing on hard surfaces such as the gravel, driftwood, the glass of the aquarium, decorations, etc.

Greenwater is single-cell algae that is suspended in your water column. The most common causes of its outbreak is too much light and/or too much dissolved organic waste (fish poo) in the water.

Common plecos are a HUGE waste producer. You didn't mention what other fish you have in the tank, but just two common plecos are putting you at 140% stocked. They grow to 1.5 feet or longer given proper care.

To eradicate greenwater takes time and work. Reduce the waste in the tank, being sure to gravel vacuum well each time. Reduce the lighting period and prevent sunlight from hitting the tank will also help.

Jul 10, 2010
I'd try getting a large phosphate pad, cutting it to the right size to fit your filter, and keeping it in there for a while. You could also put a carbon pouch in there instead of the pad for clearing the water. Either one would be pretty common and cheap at your LFS.

feliciae

Medium Fish
Jun 29, 2010
I have a 55 gallon tank, and I leave the lights on for three hours a day (since the algae bloom, it usted to be around six or eight.)
And I have a background to keep it directly out of the light.
I put some water clearer in there to see if it would work, and lo and behold, it did! But I have now discovered that half of my little fish are missing. It is now stocked with:
2 small angels
2 plecos
1 silver dollar
2 Gourami
3 hi-fin black tetras
1 mabye dead snail (I got it from an LFS to help in a different tank with algae, and it hadn't moved. I figured that the fish was just being a snot to it, so I put it in my big tank. It's moved, but I wonder if it may be one of my gourami coaxing it to open so it can eat it.)
And one lonley neon tetra. :( His buddy was eaten.
So now I am trying to find a home for my gourami or a different tank because I am certian that it was them that committed the massacare.
So anyone in the MO region, hook me up if you want a fish. :(

Aug 16, 2009
SW Pennsylvania
Your water is green because your tank is not cycled and will not cycle with that many fish. You are having a bacteria bloom because there is not enough beneficial bacteria in your tank. I would get rid of at least one of the plecos, if not both. Angelfish grow very large as well and I'm not sure about the silver dollar. Personally, I would return all of your fish to the pet store, cycle your tank, and then purchase suitable fish for a tank that size.