AlgaeFix Marine worked for hair algae

Lotus

Ultimate Fish
Aug 26, 2003
Southern California
home.earthlink.net
I've been battling hair algae for months. I did all the usual things, including adding a phosphate reactor, keeping nutrients low, feeding less, getting algae eaters, etc.

I read over on Reef Central about using it, and decided to give it a try.

After 5 doses, the algae is starting to disappear. I'm really happy. *thumbsup2

Now, I just have to try to deal with the bryopsis, or whatever it is, that is still in the tank. At least the hair algae is on its way out.

strout

Superstar Fish
Dec 21, 2008
You have said something about this hair algae problem before, so I am glad to hear you are getting the upper hand on this. Just for my own edification, what caused this problem, if you know. I have been lucky with my tank so far and have not had a problem with algae but I know several people who come into our LFS that have, but have never asked what might have caused this problem.

Lotus

Ultimate Fish
Aug 26, 2003
Southern California
home.earthlink.net
I'm not really sure what caused it to take hold. We upgraded the lights, and I think that may have contributed. There was suddenly a lot more light, and that perhaps caused a series of events.

The other thing that happened is that I was treating for bryopsis with magnesium. This may have set off a chain of events that led to the problem.

It's odd, because the tank has been up for around three years (I think), and up to this point there hadn't been a spot of hair algae anywhere. Then, six months of battling hair algae.

I will say that usually doing most of the common fixes will end hair algae. Because I'd done all of the other methods, I decided to do a Hail Mary save on the tank with the AlgaeFix. It certainly wouldn't be my first choice as a "quick fix."