Algea eater Question

nobody

Large Fish
Sep 26, 2005
Utah
I have a golden algea eater and lately his scales have been getting black smugges on them. Here's some pics

My question is, why is he getting these smugges? Should I be worried? What can I do? He seems perfectly healthy, always lively.

nobody

Large Fish
Sep 26, 2005
Utah
Okay, so I went took my lfs today and asked them my question. They said that sometimes as gold algea eaters mature they get black spots and it's just part of their coloring. Is that true? Does anyone know? Any information would be great.

TLH

Large Fish
Jun 27, 2005
Northants;England
How long is he/she?Doesn't look that big to me judging from the gravel size.I'd say it was still quite young.If they're the same as false SAE's like mine they will grow to 4-6 inches.

It looks to me like it's unhappy about something.He's very pale.Is he being bullied by your Bala Shark do you think?

Can you test your water parameters and post them?Do you feed algae wafers or just flake?

nobody

Large Fish
Sep 26, 2005
Utah
Here are some photos from today. The algea eater, Streak by name, is about 3in long from what I can see. Another thing the guy at the LFS is that sometimes they get gold eaters that have black spots.

I doubt the ballah is bothering him. Neither of my ballahs have ever bothered any of my fish, except for another ballah. I figure these two algea eaters, Speeoty and Spear, are the pests. They do case each other and the golden one once in a while.
They are about an inch bigger than Streak.

Last edited: