Alkalinity

May 12, 2005
Can anyone help me figure out my over the past two day my Alkalinity went from ideal(120ppm) to low (5ppm)? Is there anything I can do to bring it up? All other levels are good. The PH has dropped a little but nothing major.

May 12, 2005
it is 120ppm out of the tap. I just did a 10% water change, should I do one tomorrow to? I did put in a new thing of breeder grass. I thought that I rinse it well, would that bring the Alkalinity down that much?

discus4everGrl

Superstar Fish
May 24, 2005
Chesapeake, Va
If it's a live plant then no. Ph and hardness can shift during cycling. Test again just to make sure it wasn't a fluke in testing. Make sure there's nothing in the tank that could drop the hardness like driftwood or peat for example. Most tank decorations that change the hardness make it go UP because they could be calcium based.

May 12, 2005
the plant that I added was fake. I have live ones in there too though. I have city tap water. I just tested again. And it is still really low(5ppm) PH is ok at 6.8ppm now the nitrite is up alittle too(.5ppm) Nitrate is at 20ppm. The tank I think is still cycling. it has been set up about a month. Is this normal? Should I do a big water change?

discus4everGrl

Superstar Fish
May 24, 2005
Chesapeake, Va
You could get away with a 10-30percent water change while your tank is cycling. It IS normal for hardness and ph to shift during cycling. If your fish seem to be handling it do a 10% daily. If not let us know. Depending on your fish a salt treatment can help with osmoregulation and decreases the affect of nitrites in the water as cycling continues. Check regularly and an overlap of nitrites going down while nitrates goes up is an indication of cycling. Do not add any additional fish at this time and be patient. I think those who play it cool during cycling end up with a much healthier tank in the long run - good luck

May 12, 2005
thanks not planning on adding anymore to that tank. just has the breeder trio in it. Hopefully i don't loss them. They weren't easy to get ahold of. I have been adding AmQuel+ to the water. Suppose to help remove Nitrate,Nitrite and Ammonia. Should have some new fry here soon. Seems like its been forever....and still no babies.