All shark tank?

CAPSLOCK

Elite Fish
Jul 19, 2004
Cape Cod
Red tail and rainbows will both fight with their own species, and they look similar enough that I bet they'd fight with each other too. They should get along with balas, since it's different areas. Not sure about columbian sharks (are these brackish?). Since balas get up to 10-12" and need a group of at least 3, it would probably be a 100g or so tank, so there might be room for 2-3 red tail and/or rainbow sharks. This would probably be a pretty boring tank, it'd need something more in my opinion.

Katome556

Large Fish
Oct 16, 2006
Russell,Kansas
i agree with you it'd be probably boring but eh my dad just wants to know.Me i'd personally like tiger barbs and loaches as well.Also i'm pretty sure columbian sharks are freshies and not brackish if i'm wrong then they'd make a cool brackish fish.

sclabman

Large Fish
Jan 21, 2007
L.A.
i think columbians are brackish... not sure. Pictus cats look kinda similar and they're freshies so you could have those instead (unless i'm thinking of a different fish for the columbian shark)

i agree it wouldnt be a great tank.

Katome556

Large Fish
Oct 16, 2006
Russell,Kansas
Taken from a site i found:This species prefers some aquarium salt in the water, and may also be acclimated slowly into a saltwater aquarium, as they live in both freshwater and saltwater during different times of their life.

So i guess they are kinda like mollies but a very neat fish.

Also an update from my dad he said he'll get a 155 gallon tank if i can find something super interesting LOL*why me DX*

Last edited:
Nov 14, 2006
Fishers, IN
www.myspace.com
The columbian shark is not a good idea even for a large tank. They prefer some salt and can get HUGE. Not to mention being skittish and having the tendency to fly around the tank banging in to everything in it's path. It's just not a very good fish for home aquaria. IMO the shouldn't even be sold in LFS's.

Kandoom

Small Fish
Feb 5, 2007
Somers, NY
Katome:

I've been warned off the red tails enough times to stay clear- I have one Rainbow and its a tank favorite - he's new and smallish, replacing a big one I had for quite some time until he got dropsy (and he used to be my favorite, most personable fish in the tank)- as long as you have only one rainbow you will be fine- they police the tank but don't hurt anyone (the old one actually protected the other bottom feeders- pandas, clown loaches) while they ate and kept the silver dollars off their backs from stealing their algae tablets.

Balas are great community fish and get along just fine with the rainbow- pretty much indifferent to each other. You want at least two balas and one rainbow. Remember that the sharks can get quite big.

Don't know about Columbians so I can't comment on those, but the balas and rainbow are great additions to my tank.