already have babies

fishylove

Small Fish
Aug 21, 2006
hi all,

to add to all my new fish tank problems, i already saw a baby in the tank today...obviously i do not know what it is....probably molly cause he was all excited to eat

Now what do I do? since i have only one fish tank that too two weeks old, i just removed the baby right now and kept it in a small glass (plastic) so that other fish dont eat him/her (if they eat other fish)

I have 2 mollies, 2 platies, and neon tetras....and who concieved *twirlysmi

pls pls help

fishy love

PS: I didnt know i had male female pair when i bought the fish as this is my first fish tank and also a first baby experience *twirlysmi

Milo

Large Fish
Jun 29, 2006
Brampton, Ontario
Wow... congratz on having babies already!

I don't know much about breeding fish but i can't imagine the fish being in a glass to be all that great. BUT PLEASE DON'T TAKE MY WORD ON IT!

homebunnyj

Superstar Fish
Jul 13, 2005
Western NC
You can use something like a rubbermaid container with a sponge filter (nice and cheap) to put the babies in. You can feed them finely crushed flake, unless you want to go get some fry food. You really need to stay on top of testing their water, as it can get toxic really fast what with feeding them several times a day and all. I'd test the the ammonia every day. Also, it might be okay to swish your tank's filter media in the water in the makeshift fry tank; even though your tank is new, there might be some bacteria that could help out the new fry tank. You will have to do frequent water changes in the fry tank to keep ammonia and nitrites down, so they don't all die.

fishylove

Small Fish
Aug 21, 2006
Thanks Judy, milo and Jin

right now i have i just kept the fry (fries??) seperately in glass...i am planning to get a small tank just for the fry in evening...i will do a water change frequently till then...will those fries last till evening if i keep them in plastic glass??

Last edited:

Seleya

Superstar Fish
Nov 22, 2004
Cape Cod, MA
Visit site
She may be. How cycled is this tank? You said you had it up for two weeks, so do you know what the readings are?

As for the babies.... You have a few options: Get a tank for the babies to grow to a safe size but it too will be cycling, not good for babies; get a breeders net to section off a bit of the tank which again will save larger numbers (what would you do if they keep multiplying?) but this tank is likely cycling as well; provide a number of hiding places (plants, ornaments...) and let nature take its course (only the lucky and strongest survive, which may be a more managable number for you)

The only fish which could have produced them are the mollies or platies, both of which can be very productive given a chance.

Jayrod7

Large Fish
Dec 1, 2005
Omaha, Nebraska
if you see a baby, there are usualy many more to be found, depending on how planted or how many places to hide you have in the tank the fry should do fine. if you really want to keep them id go with the tupperware and bubble filter idea, that has worked for me. congrats on the fry.......many more will be comming your way

fishylove

Small Fish
Aug 21, 2006
I bought a breeding net and attached to the tank...i will be getting a smaller tank in the meantime and set it aside for cycling...my fish tank is really overstocked now :(

but but but, fry are really good :)))))))))))))) i have seen fry before but never observed them so closely...its fun

thanks for all your suggestions

Fishy love

Feb 10, 2006
Bay Area, CA
Just a few comments.

I had a similar problem to yours fishylove. I had platy/swordtail fry in my 5 and I had no where to put the fry. The ones that survived of course...Evidently, I ended up getting a 10 G and now it's fully stocked.

The point is. Don't get a smaller tank. Get a huge one so you will have more fun with your stocking options in the future. But whatever size tank you end up getting, you can speed up the cycling process by "seeding" the tank. Using the gravel, decorations, filter mediums.

Good luck and have fun with the fry (mine are about 3 months).

JeLeAk

Large Fish
Jan 4, 2005
Alaska
personally i wouldnt even bother trying to save the fry

IMO setting up a separate grow out tank will become more hassle than its worth for you right now, i am assuming you have a 10 gallon tank right? i dont know how many tetras you have but if you have a small school your already pretty much stocked... so once the little fry are large enough to be swapped back to the "main" tank, there will not be any room, not to mention the fry grow out tank will become over run with the other batches of fry, and if you have a male, female combo expect new fry about twice a month at least

so my best advice, set the fry free, and let nature do its thing