also your opions

VirgoWolf

Superstar Fish
Feb 16, 2006
Michigan
Assuming you meant Opinions, my personal opinion is to concentrate on the fish you have and the tanks you have, making them healthy and happy and learning as much as possible about fish, fish keeping in general, and alot of the different species of fish before you get into any sort of breeding. I have seen alot of your posts and it seems to me you are a little enthusiastic now that you have this new knowledge of fish. I think you need to slow down a bit and just read a bit first, do alot of searching online and read as many articles as you can find on anything you are interested in.

Then once you fix the ever changing number of tanks and/or fish (at least in your sig) and you get your stock levels a little better (getting the 55gal for the pleco is a great step, what do you plan on doing with the flounder?) and you understand more about fish and fishkeeping in general, then you can start researching breeding and find a species you like (not one that will just produce and grow fast) and go from there.

To breed fish, you have to love the fish you are breeding, you can't really just breed fish that produce fast and grow fast. If you're trying to make money, unless you plan on spending a LOT more time, space, money, etc... on fish in the future and making a living of it, I would find another way to make cash. You invest nearly as much into breeding fish as you make, it's not really all that profitable at all. Not to mention all the time and effort goes into it.

Sorry, not trying to be rude or anything, just trying to make sure you don't end up overwhelmed, you'd be supprised how many people end up getting into fishkeeping too eagerly and end up with a mess. Almost everyone here can say at one time, we were making newbie mistakes, but you have to just use the grand old WWW and use it more so you can figure out what path you want to take with fishkeeping. Usually picking a biotope and putting similar fish together is the best way to go, but there can be some niced mixed communities too if you research to make sure they all need similar water conditions and diets.

Last edited:
Apr 1, 2006
South England UK
VirgoWolf said:
Assuming you meant Opinions, my personal opinion is to concentrate on the fish you have and the tanks you have, making them healthy and happy and learning as much as possible about fish, fish keeping in general, and alot of the different species of fish before you get into any sort of breeding. I have seen alot of your posts and it seems to me you are a little enthusiastic now that you have this new knowledge of fish. I think you need to slow down a bit and just read a bit first, do alot of searching online and read as many articles as you can find on anything you are interested in.

Then once you fix the ever changing number of tanks and/or fish (at least in your sig) and you get your stock levels a little better (getting the 55gal for the pleco is a great step, what do you plan on doing with the flounder?) and you understand more about fish and fishkeeping in general, then you can start researching breeding and find a species you like (not one that will just produce and grow fast) and go from there.

To breed fish, you have to love the fish you are breeding, you can't really just breed fish that produce fast and grow fast. If you're trying to make money, unless you plan on spending a LOT more time, space, money, etc... on fish in the future and making a living of it, I would find another way to make cash. You invest nearly as much into breeding fish as you make, it's not really all that profitable at all. Not to mention all the time and effort goes into it.

Sorry, not trying to be rude or anything, just trying to make sure you don't end up overwhelmed, you'd be supprised how many people end up getting into fishkeeping too eagerly and end up with a mess. Almost everyone here can say at one time, we were making newbie mistakes, but you have to just use the grand old WWW and use it more so you can figure out what path you want to take with fishkeeping. Usually picking a biotope and putting similar fish together is the best way to go, but there can be some niced mixed communities too if you research to make sure they all need similar water conditions and diets.
i personally agree with virgo wolf. some good advice here. love your fish instead of buying new ones to love.