Am I full?

NJmom2002

Large Fish
Nov 30, 2006
NJ
Is there anything else I can add to the tanks? The 29 gal looks kinda blah with no colorful fish. But they all look happy in there. Can I squeeze something else in there or is that one full? I just got a Betta a week ago. I hated him in the little 1/2 gal so I put him in the 5. Can I put something in there with him?

cchase85

Large Fish
Jun 6, 2006
New England
Bettas are touch and go with most kinds of fish. It depends on the age and personality of the fish you have. Sometimes bettas are just fine in community tanks, other times they can't be housed with anything. Only one way to find out... and if it doesn't work out, stick them in the 29 gallon.

Just avoid matching the betta up with fish that like nipping fins and fish with long fins.

Fuzz16

Superstar Fish
Oct 20, 2006
Wellsville, KS
a mystery snail would be nice in the 5g :) a gold would give some nice color

and with your 29g maybe adding some to the schools that you have so they are more comfortable. perhaps even a pretty pleco with some color to add to the bottom

Bryon

Large Fish
Mar 22, 2007
Michigan
do NOT put the betta in the 29 gallon or you will have a dead gourami and/or betta. If you don't already have a betta in the 5 gallon he could go in there. IMO your 29 gallon isn't full yet but I have no idea what your looking to put in it.

NJmom2002

Large Fish
Nov 30, 2006
NJ
The betta is in the 5 gallon with the 2 ghost shrimps. For the 29 gallon I want to add some color. The only color I have really are the red cherry barbs and the blue gourami. What is a good colorful fish that doesnt kill the plants? Any advice?

MissFishy

Superstar Fish
Aug 10, 2006
Michigan
It really depends on what colors you want to add. Some things to look at would be some colored platy (same sex), von rio tetras (red or orange), or some neons (not really the hardiest fish, but very colorful).

NJmom2002

Large Fish
Nov 30, 2006
NJ
Thanks I think I might try Platys again. I had a Mickey Mouse one and it died but that was in the tank of death that all my fish seemed to die in.. How many would you recommend? Would 3 be good? The glowlights sound good too. I was in the store the other day and they had neon colored fish. Im talking neon pink, neon orange and neon yellow.. They looked cool but just thinking of HOW they got that way made me fell bad for them.

Bryon

Large Fish
Mar 22, 2007
Michigan
Thanks I think I might try Platys again. I had a Mickey Mouse one and it died but that was in the tank of death that all my fish seemed to die in.. How many would you recommend? Would 3 be good? The glowlights sound good too. I was in the store the other day and they had neon colored fish. Im talking neon pink, neon orange and neon yellow.. They looked cool but just thinking of HOW they got that way made me fell bad for them.
There's a good chance they're dyed.

cchase85

Large Fish
Jun 6, 2006
New England
They're not dyed in the sense that most of the people on here object to, I don't think the fish are affected by it.

At that point, it's a question of how you stand on genetically engineered organisms (and not just genetically engineered by selective breeding) as to how you feel about them.

Seleya

Superstar Fish
Nov 22, 2004
Cape Cod, MA
Visit site
If they were danios, perhaps you were being told the truth; if they weren't danios, I would seriously doubt they weren't dyed. This may be a line they are told to give because people are becoming more savvy about the cruelty of dyeing and tattooing or they simply don't know and are just making it up as they go along.

I would round out your schools a bit more and, if you like platies, find some platies that contrast with the fish you already have.

NJmom2002

Large Fish
Nov 30, 2006
NJ
They were danios. My daughter wanted some but I didnt want to get them because I thought they were dyed. The way I feel about genetically altered organisms is if it doesnt hurt or make them suffer than I guess its ok. But I dont like how they inject the dyes into the fish. I know that has to hurt since a relative had a procedure like that done when they were checking out the arteries. She said it hurt alot. Who know though I bet sometime in the future they will be genetically altering humans. Eek .

Bryon

Large Fish
Mar 22, 2007
Michigan
Just to give some help, I know I've been away for a while the danio's you speak of are just fine and are called glo-fish. GloFish® Welcome
Go to that site to learn about them. I do have some at my house in a 10 gallon tank, I lucked out because I only paid a buck at PSP because somebody marked them just as danio's.

NJmom2002

Large Fish
Nov 30, 2006
NJ
They are cool looking but at 6 bucks each I will pass on them for now. The next set I am getting is some more cherry barbs. I only have 3 right now I want to add like 3 more. What would be the max of fish for the tank? Its a 29 gal. Im still not sure how to figure that out yet.