Am I Overfeeding?

lisa1124

Small Fish
Oct 5, 2005
I am so worried that I am going to lose another Betta. I feed George 2 pellets in the morning, one blood worm at lunch and 2 pellets in the evening. Is that okay?

FroggyFox

Forum Manager
May 16, 2003
Colorado
What kind of pellets?? Like hikari betta bites? or something else? Do you literally mean one blood worm worm...or one block of bloodworms?

If you have hikari betta bites or something else similar to that I feed my betta about 10 of them every other day or 6-8 a day depending on what kind of schedule I'm on. He gets bloodworms or brine shrimp as a treat once a week or so and I'm not sure how many he eats vs the other critters in the tank. If you're feeding him a whole block of bloodworms thats probably wayyy too much...if youre only feeding him one worm then i'm thinkin its probably underfeeding and I'm not entirely sure how you seperate out one worm??

Fish Friend

Superstar Fish
May 29, 2005
England
www.piczo.com
Yeah-id say dont feed him at dinner...just feed them at morning and night, i think you should swap round, feed the bloodworms to him in the morning..then the pellets in the afternoon, because in the morning he will be more hungry and eat more of them :D

EDIT- froggy..double post :D

FroggyFox

Forum Manager
May 16, 2003
Colorado
ohhh ok that makes sense :) hah bloodworms I feed are frozen so it would be really messy to seperate one out.

I'd say you could feed him a bit more, but if he doesn't seem like his tummy is caving in then he's probably fine. My betta is huge and he's a couple...hmm at least two years old, maybe more like three, whereas George is probably still relatively young and growing.

I dont think there's any problem with feeding him bloodworms every day or spreading his meals out... On Fridays you might think about not feeding him during the day and feeding him all day's rations before you leave and then feeding him again on monday morning when you get in so maybe it doesn't seem like much time w/o food for him?

Also...if you're feeding him too much his little tummy will be poofed out and you'd probably notice it :)