Am I ready to buy fish

zmarcoz

Small Fish
Sep 29, 2007
I have use the biozyme for 3 days. However, it is not totally dissolvable. I change 30% of water today, put some nutration for the plants, use water condition to remove the chemical in water. Tomorrow I want to go to get 5-6 fancy guppies (3 males: 2 females), get 1-2 plants, get whisper filter media, may also get a breeding hospital or breeding net. ........ However, I have not checked the water quality so far.....*thumbsups

Last edited:

ishar

MFT Staff
Jul 27, 2007
Hamilton, ON.
the only time you are ready to get fish is when you ammonia and nitrite levels are ZERO and you nitrate levels are roughly 20ppm. Until you test your water for that you won't be ready for fish for sure for sure for a while yet.

PS: by funny guppies do you mean fancy guppies? And also, I would say that is a bad mix. For guppies you want a ratio of around 1:3 males to females. I have two males and three females (one died on me) and they are not too happy with that (I have hopeful fry I plan to fix this balance with). You should be sure to keep this ratio. 1:2 is ok but 1:3 or 1:4 is a lot better.

zmarcoz

Small Fish
Sep 29, 2007
the only time you are ready to get fish is when you ammonia and nitrite levels are ZERO and you nitrate levels are roughly 20ppm. Until you test your water for that you won't be ready for fish for sure for sure for a while yet.

PS: by funny guppies do you mean fancy guppies? And also, I would say that is a bad mix. For guppies you want a ratio of around 1:3 males to females. I have two males and three females (one died on me) and they are not too happy with that (I have hopeful fry I plan to fix this balance with). You should be sure to keep this ratio. 1:2 is ok but 1:3 or 1:4 is a lot better.
I make a typo again *BOUNCINGS
Actually, there is a reason that I have not test the water condition. I should ask the question. I saw there were many different type of test kit. :confused: Each of them only take care for one thing. And they were very expensive in petco's.:eek: I want to know whether there is any package test kit which would be cheaper. I prefer to buy stuff in petsmart.*BOUNCINGS Stuff in there are cheaper than petco, but petsmart is much further away from me. Therefore, I would only go to petsmart if plan to spend >30 dollars. I don't know the price of the test kit in petsmart. Does anyone have any suggestion, or any information? *celebrate

Last edited:

MissFishy

Superstar Fish
Aug 10, 2006
Michigan
zmarcoz, please take the time to read through the link in my signature about cycling a tank. There is also a link in there about where to buy a discount test kit for everything you need. Do NOT go out and buy fish until you have read through and understand all of this.

I've never heard of the biozyme stuff...what is it? My suspicion is that it is nothing you need or should be using.

Nov 27, 2004
New Orleans
Visit site
you could go to the petsmart website and check the prices there, which would be a good indicator of what the store might have. the best thing to get is one of those all inclusive master freshwater test kits, and if you have yet to figure it out, fish keeping is not exactly a cheap hobby to have...o, and is that temp. the reading for your water? 84 is a bit on the high side for fish, but good for cycling. I keep mine around 78 for my fish, so when you are ready (which you do not appear to be) make sure you adjust the temp.