Amano Shrimp Group Behaviour

ishar

MFT Staff
Jul 27, 2007
Hamilton, ON.
Hey again. I have recently added two Amano shrimp to my tank, bringing the total to three Amanos. There has never been a problem with my first one and his tankmates as they are all quite peaceful (see sig). Now that I have added two more shrimp, the original one is much more active than usual, which I wanted to happen because e would feel safer in his group. However, for the most part, the other two are rarely out and about.

I realize this could be because they are new and afraid, but there have been times when all three were hanging out together, but for the most part I only see the original. Do you think it is just because they are new?

Also one of the new ones was about the same size as the original, but one was about half the size- roughly. A lot smaller anyways. What is more likely- it is a male shrimp? or it is a young shrimp?

Lotus

Ultimate Fish
Aug 26, 2003
Southern California
home.earthlink.net
The males are much smaller, generally. If you see the small one swimming furiously around the tank, it's likely about to mate with a female.

It's also normal for shrimp to hide when they've just molted, as their bodies are soft and vulnerable for a while. When they're new in the tank they're likely to molt soon, due to parameter changes.

ishar

MFT Staff
Jul 27, 2007
Hamilton, ON.
oh ok. Yeah I think one of them did within an hour of putting it into the tank :p. I ill watch for the other one to molt then- and for the little one to motor around. hehehe

ishar

MFT Staff
Jul 27, 2007
Hamilton, ON.
well my three shrimp are always crawling over each other while they hang out in the shade of my anubias plant :D. It is pretty cool to see it. If I had a good camera and tripod I would get some pics to show you all.