Amazon Tank Compatibility

Jul 18, 2011
underwater
So, my 20 gallon is supposed to be a South American/Amazon tank, and right now all I pretty much have are tetras and 1 GBR. I would like to get a male GBR to form a breeding pair and another type of dwarf cichlid for my tank, preferably some sort of Apistogramma. The cheapest ones I can find are the "Assorted Apistogramma" on liveaquaria.com, and I might get one of those. The only thing is, would the GBRs and the apisto fight? The tank is a long tank, and I heard on another website that it shouldn't be a problem since the apisto and the rams would each have one square foot of territory (Tank measurements are 30 in. x 12 in.). Also, does anyone know what species I could get from buying one assorted apistogramma? Thanks

Kiara1125

Superstar Fish
Jan 12, 2011
Florida
I've never had or bred GBRs, but I heard that they can get pretty aggressive during breeding and I worry that a 20g just might be too small for a breeding pair WITH other fish.

On another note, how's that 5g doing??

Jul 18, 2011
underwater
I've never had or bred GBRs, but I heard that they can get pretty aggressive during breeding and I worry that a 20g just might be too small for a breeding pair WITH other fish.

On another note, how's that 5g doing??
They can get aggressive, but I doubt that they would kill anything. I think they just shoo any tresspassers away.

The 5.5g was shut down, and is just sitting there... waiting for those snails to die......

Kiara1125

Superstar Fish
Jan 12, 2011
Florida
All I can say is, since it's a long tank, try to put as many plants and hiding places as possible. That might lower the aggression a bit but idk.

Another thing....DIE SNAILS DIE!!!!!!

Fuzz16

Superstar Fish
Oct 20, 2006
Wellsville, KS
2 rams breeding will corner every fish in a tank, they dd in my 75g. discus angels, plates, bettas, every fish was huddled in a corner. a 20 long is ok for a pair if theres no other fish, otherwise dont plan on breeding. id recomend pullling the eggs if their ever laid.

and i would not put apistos/kribs in a 20g, they need more floorspace than rams

Jul 18, 2011
underwater
2 rams breeding will corner every fish in a tank, they dd in my 75g. discus angels, plates, bettas, every fish was huddled in a corner. a 20 long is ok for a pair if theres no other fish, otherwise dont plan on breeding. id recomend pullling the eggs if their ever laid.

and i would not put apistos/kribs in a 20g, they need more floorspace than rams
Would a Bolivian work? My tank is a 20 long