Ammonia for fishless cycles

Apr 17, 2007
Portland, OR
Is there anybody out there who as successfully used fishless cycling? If thats you I'm having trouble finding a good source of ammonia. I bought some that was called clear ammonia and i shook and it didn't foam but when i got home and read over the DR Chris Cow article and realized one of the things it couldn't have surfactants in the ingredients. So where do I find Ammonia that just says ammonium hydroxide or "100% Ammonia" on it.

Apr 17, 2007
Portland, OR
Fishless cyceling ammonia sources

:cool: Is there anybody out there who as successfully used fishless cycling? If thats you I'm having trouble finding a good source of ammonia. I bought some that was called clear ammonia and i shook and it didn't foam but when i got home and read over the DR Chris Cow article and realized one of the things it couldn't have surfactants in the ingredients. So where do I find Ammonia that just says ammonium hydroxide or "100% Ammonia" on it. I'm newbie so maybe some of you seasoned fish hobbiest have some tips for me.

Oct 14, 2006
New Hampshire
I have done fishless cycling for all tanks(I had to restart 1 tank 2 times because the fish died-I was new to Fish keeping).

If you have the money, you can try Bio Sparia. You MUST have 0 ammonia in your tank and NO fish(they cause the ammonia to rise lol). If it's just sitting there all lonely on your LFS's or Pet Store's shelf don't get it. Only get Bio Sparia if it's being Refridgerated.

seastaar88

Superstar Fish
Feb 1, 2004
middletown, CT
you had this posted else where so i'll add again, check out the sticky for iggy's recipe for a fishless cycle in the beginners forum. it tells ya all about using straight ammonia from the store as a source.

MissFishy

Superstar Fish
Aug 10, 2006
Michigan
I had some trouble finding ammonia. Make sure it doesn't have any coloring, fragrance, or soap suds in it. Usually the bottle will have a customer service number on it that you can call that can tell you exactly what's in it. I found mine at ACO hardware.

Apr 22, 2003
NYC
shellvergel.blogspot.con
i think most people on here have used fishless cycling, and on multiple tanks.

If you really can't find "pure" ammonia, I'd suggest running some [extra] carbon in the filter to soak up the chemicals. It is also generally suggested that you do a biiiig (75ish) percent water change after the cycle right before you add the fish. That is mostly to get rid of the excess nitrate buildup, but should help with any stray chems in the tank. Having live plants in the tank might also be a plus.

The ammonia i used in cycling my tank wasn't really "pure", and i never had any problems with it once the cycle ended.

FroggyFox

Forum Manager
May 16, 2003
Colorado
I found mine at a grocery store and yes, have successfully fishlessly cycled many tanks :) I'd check a few more places and if you can't find it, the one with surfectants might be ok. I believe someone posted an article that laid out the difference and I dont remember it being significant. fwiw I got mine at Albertsons...its the store brand. You're going to have ammonia and water in the ingredients, since the concentration of ammonia is different between each brand...I'd say just make sure there is no scent or perfumes in it etc.